• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Viking range hood

JohnnyH

Looking for a little advice here. I've got a Viking range hood, the corrugated metal underside of which seems to have built up a fair amount of grease with use. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to clean it?

Thanks, as always.

Edited by JohnnyH (log)

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

I have a DCS vent hood with a metal filter. Per the instructions, Istick the filter element in the dishwasher and it comes out great. What I can't put in the dishwasher I use a degreaser and then polish with a stainless steel polish.

Check the owner's manual - most of these kinds of filters can be removed and run through the dishwasher.

It is important to clean them regularly. If they get too clogged, it can damage the blower motor.

I have a 42 " Viking Professional wall hood with the removable baffles. These lift out and I spritz them with Greased Lightning degreaser and rinse with hot water.

Mine has a drip tray that the baffles sit in and that also is removed and cleaned. With the filters removed I also clean as much of the interior as I can reach. I do this about once a month or more if I've done something that produced a lot of grease or cooked a fish on the stove like salmon that leaves a strong odor.

Grease Lightning is one of the best degreasers I have ever used. Better than Simple Green but SG is non toxic. If I don't clean mine often I start to get drips of grease forming around the rim. Don't want any of that falling back into my food.