• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese Knives – What to Buy?

rgruby

The chef knives to go forum has people that work for chef knives to go that will make you very concrete recs from products offered by chef knives to go if you can define what you want based on those parameters

Fixed that for you. CKTG has many good offerings but the forum is anything but unbiased.  There are other forums that are not retailer based that can offer recommendations based on user requirements.  Chef Talk and Cooking for Engineers come to mind as does this forum.   Kitchen Knife Forums is specific to kitchen knives and related "stuff".

Fixed that for you. CKTG has many good offerings but the forum is anything but unbiased.  There are other forums that are not retailer based that can offer recommendations based on user requirements.  Chef Talk and Cooking for Engineers come to mind as does this forum.   Kitchen Knife Forums is specific to kitchen knives and related "stuff".

Either way the people know what they are talking about and not every person there works for Chefknivestogo. And it is obvious who those people are. I truly think that avoiding that website for the reasons you listed is a stupid reason. The amount of information that can be found on that website is fantastic. You can always use that forum to get answers and take your business elsewhere if you really are bothered by that.

Either way the people know what they are talking about and not every person there works for Chefknivestogo. And it is obvious who those people are. I truly think that avoiding that website for the reasons you listed is a stupid reason. The amount of information that can be found on that website is fantastic. You can always use that forum to get answers and take your business elsewhere if you really are bothered by that.

Seconded. Also, CKTG has surely the largest collection of quality, distinctive Japanese knives and hands down more information than any other site I've seen. And no, I don't work for them either and only bought a $20 knife from them a few years ago (though I am planning a larger purchase in the near future). I think they're also better for entry-level stuff than, say, Korin, who specializes in really high end, pro-level stuff (and for what it's worth, my main knife was bought at Korin, and I've spent far more money there than at CKTG!)

I've been modestly not posting what I bought from CKtG. But damn is it a sexy knife.  I wanted one with specific requirements for my use in the restaurant, but also something special to celebrate my past year.  So here it is.  A Sukenari 210mm Honyaki with custom Russian Karelian Birch handle.  I get it tomorrow.

NewKnife.jpg

• Like 3

Dammit gfron, I saw this for sale on the CKTG forum second hand for $40 off the new price and had to pull the trigger (bottom one)

DSC03979_zpsa40317d6.jpg

Which is this, one of the more acclaimed Shirogami #1 knives on the site: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokogyuto240mm.html

• Like 2

Don't worry, the Fujiwara Teruyasu Shirogami #1 is said to be even better than the Goko - the Goko apparently is close to it but the former has a special something. And furthermore, apparently nothing surpasses honyaki blades.

I was in the market for a Yamashin 240mm gyutou (also Shirogami AKA white paper #1) to learn better sharpening, but at $104, this Goko apparently represents several jumps up in performance for less than $50 more. Now all I have to do is get some stones!

...and maybe some strops.

....and a better, edge-grain cutting board...

.....and a saya for the knife....

.....and a bunch of towels to wipe off the reactive carbon blade....

agh hell, and the Death & Co book is coming out, AND Cocktail Kingdom is releasing a new line of mixing glasses...and....when will these purchases end! (sorry, doing more drinks-making than food-chopping lately)

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 2

Not to be a bit of a Know-It-All  idiot

:raz:

but at some point, consider how your sharpen Your Fine Knives.  

the EdgePro takes all the guess work out it the equation, and you cannot get a better edge.  

if you use Free Stones, you might have the coordination and skill to get an edge as good,

but most of us cant.

I dont work for EP.  they changed my knife collection and made my Gobals  Sing.

still I got a jones for You Know What !

but your fine knives best friend is its mate, the cutting board.

there is a little dance going on there.

Ive made my own for a long time from NE figured hard wood.  mostlly birds eye maple.

loved it all

now Ive found these :

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/oxo-good-grips-reg-21-inch-x-15-inch-carving-and-cutting-board/1014949216?Keyword=oxo+cutting+board

not so sexy.  but they might be your Fine Knives Best Friend.

• Like 1

Not to be a bit of a Know-It-All  idiot

:raz:

but at some point, consider how your sharpen Your Fine Knives.  

the EdgePro takes all the guess work out it the equation, and you cannot get a better edge.  

if you use Free Stones, you might have the coordination and skill to get an edge as good,

but most of us cant.

I dont work for EP.  they changed my knife collection and made my Gobals  Sing.

still I got a jones for You Know What !

but your fine knives best friend is its mate, the cutting board.

there is a little dance going on there.

Ive made my own for a long time from NE figured hard wood.  mostlly birds eye maple.

loved it all

now Ive found these :

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/oxo-good-grips-reg-21-inch-x-15-inch-carving-and-cutting-board/1014949216?Keyword=oxo+cutting+board

not so sexy.  but they might be your Fine Knives Best Friend.

I have one of those Oxo ones. It's OK. Gets dinged up easily and probably isn't the greatest on the knife itself.

As for homemade boards from birdseye maple, want to make me one? :biggrin:

I actually agree with you, but as I delve deeper into knives (like any kitchen skill) I like to know the basics and then once I understand the theory and practice, then I move to the easier solution.  I'll certainly be looking into an EdgePro in the future.  Thanks though.

Ill give you my EP insight :

the blanks need to be kept flat.

best and easy way to do this is to buy an extra blank of each grit you use.

not so expensive.  they you mark on the metal back side w an Sharpie  1 and 2  for the other 3 and 4.

you use the second blank to 'massage' the two stone under the water to get rid of the metal shavings and 

keeps them flat.

two blanks of each grit will last you a life time,

\

and use more water rather then less

a joy to use and much more effective than Psycho-Therapy, or Analysis.

BTW  the EP is 'easier' only in the sense it takes the angle guess-work out of the equation.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

my second thought :

and EP sooner is much better than an EP later.

one time costs are in the long run trivial

that Cable you have, that iPhone you have ?

over and over they damage your 'Holdings' month by month

forever.

evil they are.

not the EP

Why do you say that?  I keep my knives in good shape, with daily honing and weekly wet stone sharpening, so my angles are fairly consistent.  Are you thinking that if angles are maintained one would be doing a lot of grinding when they switch over to an EP?

No

you do not need honing of a superb knife if you thing about your cutting board.

honing is the result of a cutting board that is too hard and then bends that Fine Edge.

the honing then takes that curled edge and makes it smooth.

a knife, fine or coarse IE you have very fine knives

reacts w the cutting board.

\

wood was the main stay for a long time.

you will not Grind Those Knives.

Just Dont Screw Up

:biggrin:

your knives are Too Delicious For That.

• Like 1

Hassouni

like this one :

board1.jpg

or this one :

board2.jpg

the second one is an invention of mine;  they are narrow and long to fit over large double sinks:

you set it up, do your work, flick the remainders into the Disposal side sink, wipe and put away, standing on its end.

Ive made over a doz. of these as gifts for friends over time.  time well before there was an internet.

there are boards ive seen here far m,ore beautiful than these.  the top one I made for my mother, and now 

its mine and I still use it a lot.  the others, as you see  not so much.

the Oxo boards i mentioned are much much kinder on any knife you might have.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Cleaning out the kitchen cupboards I stumbled on this "gift" from years ago. Never used. I googled M Carter and see the site but can't tell what my knife is and if it is worth keeping. Images all have horrid glare - sorry.

photo (74).JPG

photo 1 (12).JPG

photo 2 (9).JPG

Nice gift!

It's a Carter.  Can't tell length but prob something close to: http://www.cartercutlery.com/5-2-sun-kuro-uchi-wa-bocho-ironwood-133grams/

Your's was likely done before he started offering upgraded handles.

I've one like it and it's a great little cutter.

Yes it must be at least 10 years old - from the knife guy "ex".  OK maybe I'll give it a spin versus re-gifting - thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have lived in Japan or cook lots of Japanese food - what are common home kitchen knives? I've heard that very few people at home use usuba, and that nakiri are more common. I guess home cooks aren't doing much katsuramuki and sengiri and stuff like that?

• 5 weeks later...

My latest - Konosuke Fujiyama White #1 Kiri/Gyuto 240 with custom handle from ChefKnivesToGo.com. Beautiful work as always and love the extra length on this one. My only negative comment is that I bought it on their Closeout page only to find it back on their regular page two weeks later at the same price. :/

Fujiyama.jpg

• Like 2