• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese Knives – What to Buy?

rgruby

I'm a little miffed at Carter Cutlery right now. My knife, straight out of the box had a chip. The chip definitely had a lip the bowed over. I finally sent it back to them to fix. They sent me this message:

To me that suggests that they think I broke it and sent it back. And there's no way it could have broke in transit, or if it did, then the metal is pretty flimsy. They handled it in the end, but still for $700 I sure as hell don't expect to be blamed for something like that. Anyway, its on its return trip to me.

I would be more than a little miffed.  I had a small defect in my New West chef's knife and New West replaced the knife and made completely good.  And that knife was a fraction of the cost of yours.  (About 1/3.)

I think Carter is off my list of potential knife suppliers.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Stranger things have happened in shipping.   I don't think Carter was inferring that you broke the chip off, only that it did not leave the shop that way.  That would be consistent with what I know about Carter.   Regardless it sounds like you are on the way to being made well. 

Are they  "replacing" vice "repairing" the knife?  In the original pic that looked like a 3-4 mm chip.  Removing the chip would be a significant change of the knife.  Better he send you a new one to original specs so that you can pit the avocados without fear.

Hope you enjoy what may become a heirloom piece.  . 

my understanding is they fixed it. I will say it was the least packed of any knives I've bought before from others. Not even a cardboard sheath. No cheap saya. I'm always amazed when I buy a knife and they don't even have a cheap saya to sell me.

• Like 1