• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chinese new year banquets in Phoenix area

I want to get together with some friends who were on a trip to China with me and thought that a Chinese New Year banquet would be perfect. I have contacted Howard Seftel who referenced a banquet he attended a few years ago at China Chili--however, when I called the restaurant said maybe an additional seafood dish but no banquet this year. Other restaurants either had no banquet or indicated that their menus were robust and they would not do anything extra, eg Flo's,Golden Buddha, China King. The C Fu Gourmet has a banquet with tables of 10 at $30 per person which is a possibility.

I hope that some of you might have some suggestions. The Philadelphia thread had a banquet that sounded delicious but I'm not prepared to fly there.

This is my first post. I look forward to your input. Thanks.

suegullet

Edited by suegullet (log)

I have eaten at all the Chinese Restaurants you mentioned and my best bet for a Chinese Banquet is Golden Buddha, in terms food, service, cleanliness and atmosphere.

Eventhough GB will not offer a Banquet Menu for CNY, you can always order ala carte catered to a CNY Banquet.

I looked over the CNY Banquet in the Philly thread and it does look appetizing.

There's also Great Wall on the west side that serves Chinese Banquet Food, they offer live seafood (lobster, dungeness crab, live fish etc...)

Hmmm, your thread is inspiring me to do my own hunt for a good CNY Banquet Dinner.

I want to get together with some friends who were on a trip to China with me and thought that a Chinese New Year banquet would be perfect.  I have contacted Howard Seftel who referenced a banquet he attended a few years ago at China Chili--however, when I called the restaurant said maybe an additional seafood dish but no banquet this year.  Other restaurants either had no banquet or indicated that their menus were robust and they would not do anything extra, eg Flo's,Golden Buddha, China King.  The C Fu Gourmet has a banquet with tables of 10 at $30 per person which is a possibility.

I hope that some of you might have some suggestions.  The Philadelphia thread had a banquet that sounded delicious but I'm not prepared to fly there.

This is my first post.  I look forward to your input.  Thanks.

suegullet

Try Tao Garden at the NW corner of Alma School and Warner

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com