• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Italia (red guide)

markk

No matter how many bookstores I try, I can't find the red Michelin Guide to Italy.

If anybody has one and would be kind enough to reply, could you tell me please if there are any restaurants in Florence (or environs) or Rome that have the "Bib Gourmand" symbol?

If there are, I'd just like to know. If there aren't a lot and somebody might care to reply with the names, that would be an extra added bonus.

Thanks in advance.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I don't have the guide myself, but according to ViaMichelin:

Firenze

Del Fagioli

Il Latini

Cibreino

Il Santo Bevitore

Roma

niente :shock:

I can't vouch for the total accuracy of this list, but I can say that I went to the first three places in Florence this summer and enjoyed them all. I also thought I remembered Trattoria Ruggero on Via Senese having a Bib Gourmand, though I could be wrong.

No matter how many bookstores I try, I can't find the red Michelin Guide to Italy.

If anybody has one and would be kind enough to reply, could you tell me please if there are any restaurants in Florence (or environs) or Rome that have the "Bib Gourmand" symbol?

If there are, I'd just like to know.  If there aren't a lot and somebody might care to reply with the names, that would be an extra added bonus.

Thanks in advance.

I have the book.

Florence and province:

Pane e Vino

Il Santo Bevitore

Trattoria Cibrèo-Cibreino

Il Latini

Del Fagioli

Tullio a Montebeni, Fiesole

Il Camino, Marradi

La Casa di Caccia, Vicchio

Ruggero (which I love, but haven't been to in years) isn't even listed.

Rome and province:

Mamma Angelina

Il Grottino, Sacrofano

I hope your reasons for wanting this info have nothing to do with wanting to know the best places to eat. :-)

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

I hope your reasons for wanting this  info have nothing to do with wanting to know the best places to eat. :-)

Not to be the least bit argumentative, but rather I'm merely curious... why do you own a book whose recommendations you don't tend to agree with?

Many reasons. For one, I don't know whether I agree till long after I've bought the book. Then, I use the Michelin practically as an address book; their info is good and accessible. For traveling around Italy it's handy in a pinch. I also have professional reasons for keeping up with the guides. Finally, I'm not anti-Michelin at all -- I often agree or at least see their point -- but this morning looking at the Bibs in the brand new book for the city where I live and another I know my way around, I was pretty appalled.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

I hope your reasons for wanting this  info have nothing to do with wanting to know the best places to eat. :-)

My main reason for wanting to know this was to see if Il Latini (where I had at a minimum, a few dozen meals in the 1970's) was the recipient of a Bib Gourmand, because I saw that it had one several years ago, and I have also heard from many sources since then that it has gone way downhill.

But when I saw, several editions ago, that it had the BG, it made me think that the symbol might represent what it represents in France - spectacular meals at astoundingly reasonable prices.

I was turned-on to this symbol while in Alsace some years ago comparing dining stories in the club lounge of the HIlton with a Frenchman who had been living in Hungary for many years, and who came to France a few times a year to eat exclusively at Bib Gourmand restaurants.

We got into a friendly argument, and I told him that I had found a great restaurant the night before all on my own, and when he went to his room and brought back the Michelin, we looked up the place that I had found, and what do you know! It had a BG. So from that day on, I started eating at BG restaurants in France, and have never been disappointed.

As to whether that corresponds to how useful the guide is in Italy, I don't know- but for the fact that the Il Latini I remember from the 70's certainly was in synch with what the symbol should represent.

Here's a link to a bunch of my French BG meals- the restaurants Faude, Grange du Paysan, Am Lindeplatzl, Au Chasseur, and A l'Arbre Vert were all BG recipients:

http://www.guyarts.com/france.html

If by the question, "I hope your reasons for wanting this info have nothing to do with wanting to know the best places to eat", you mean that you're willing to suggest the best places to eat, I would very much appreciate your suggestions - I am charged with recommending restaurants to some dear friends of mine who are about to leave for a trip to Florence and Rome, and though I've eaten extensively in those cities, that was many (many) years ago when I used to spend the summers of the 1970's in Italy, and I would appreciate any suggestions you're willing to offer.

Edited by markk (log)

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Not to be the least bit argumentative, but rather I'm merely curious... why do you own a book whose recommendations you don't tend to agree with?

Many reasons. For one, I don't know whether I agree till long after I've bought the book. Then, I use the Michelin practically as an address book; their info is good and accessible. For traveling around Italy it's handy in a pinch. I also have professional reasons for keeping up with the guides. Finally, I'm not anti-Michelin at all -- I often agree or at least see their point -- but this morning looking at the Bibs in the brand new book for the city where I live and another I know my way around, I was pretty appalled.

Your perspective makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks!

My main reason for wanting to know this was to see if Il Latini (where I had at a minimum, a few dozen meals in the 1970's) was the recipient of a Bib Gourmand, because I saw that it had one several years ago, and I have also heard from many sources since then that it has gone way downhill.

If by the question, "I hope your reasons for wanting this info have nothing to do with wanting to know the best places to eat", you mean that you're willing to suggest the best places to eat, I would very much appreciate your suggestions - I am charged with recommending restaurants to some dear friends of mine who are about to leave for a trip to Florence and Rome, and though I've eaten extensively in those cities, that was many (many) years ago when I used to spend the summers of the 1970's in Italy, and I would appreciate any suggestions you're willing to offer.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

Hey Maureen, I just discovered you joined the society. I gave the folks at Gambero Rosso in Bagno di Romagna a copy of your English-Italian food terms book. They want crazy!!!! I found another copy for myself. It's indispensable.

Thank you! Unfortunately Dictionary of Italian Cuisine is quite hard to find now, but Howard and I have plans.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

• 1 month later...