• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best croissant in Vancouver?

currypuff

I guessing the popular choice would be Thomas Haas... anything in Vancouver though?  I'm going to try patisserie lebeau again... but I find them a bit on the small side...

:hmmm:

I think I recall that 49th parallel on 4th ave sells TH croissants. Wherever they get them from, they are pretty great and located in Vancouver.

The french patisserie on Arbutus has pretty decent croissants as well. I often get mine from Coco et Olive, which are not bad and come with great atmosphere.

My house, Sunday mornings has the best croissants! I start making them on Friday night - basically a puff dough pastry....but with a small amount of yeast.

AMAZING.

Anyone intersted, please ping me and I will send the recipe. I will try to post it on my website at Chef Fowke dot Com early this week.

Croissants on the West Coast are tricky...are they puff dough based or yeast? I like both, but prefer my combination of the two (like a brioche, but flakey - just like the West Coast).

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I guessing the popular choice would be Thomas Haas... anything in Vancouver though?  I'm going to try patisserie lebeau again... but I find them a bit on the small side...

:hmmm:

I think I recall that 49th parallel on 4th ave sells TH croissants. Wherever they get them from, they are pretty great and located in Vancouver.

The french patisserie on Arbutus has pretty decent croissants as well. I often get mine from Coco et Olive, which are not bad and come with great atmosphere.

Is the french patisserie on Arbutus you are referring to the Pastry Club Dessert Cafe Ltd - which is on 41st... so obviously, you are not. Ha!

Have heard good things about Pastry Club. Also have very good things about the morning croissants from Chef Bryan from Nwyles.

My house, Sunday mornings has the best croissants! I start making them on Friday night - basically a puff dough pastry....but with a small amount of yeast.

AMAZING.

Anyone intersted, please ping me and I will send the recipe. I will try to post it on my website at Chef Fowke dot Com early this week.

Croissants on the West Coast are tricky...are they puff dough based or yeast? I like both, but prefer my combination of the two (like a brioche, but flakey - just like the West Coast).

Couldn't find the recipe. Please post or send it to me! Many thanks.

Paul B

Is the french patisserie on Arbutus you are referring to the Pastry Club Dessert Cafe Ltd - which is on 41st... so obviously, you are not. Ha!

Have heard good things about Pastry Club. Also have very good things about the morning croissants from Chef Bryan from Nwyles.

Is the French patisserie La Petite France? On Arbutus near Broadway? I wonder if the new owners are French like the previous owners...

Hmm, I'll have to check out Pastry Club Dessert Cafe...

Is the French patisserie La Petite France? On Arbutus near Broadway? I wonder if the new owners are French like the previous owners...

Hmm, I'll have to check out Pastry Club Dessert Cafe...

Yes, that's it! I could not come up with the name for the life of me. I haven't been there in several months, so I'm not sure if that would be new or old owners.

AMAZING.

...I don't know about that ;). I think the recipe I have from Chef Marco, formerly of NWCAV, would give you a run for your money. It has a secret ingredient that makes all the difference.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden