• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"But Geen Tien"/"Never Saw the Sky" Pork

Gastro888

I wanted I'd share this little nugget of information I learned yesterday from a ex-pat HK'er. She informed me that the cut of pork to use in congee is called "but geen tien"/"never saw the sky" cut. She told me it's essentially the armpit of the pig. Considering pigs don't have arms or armpits, I'm wondering if this is the same as pork shoulder/Boston butt.

Also, you're supposed to salt whatever raw meat you're using for ten hours to overnight prior to cooking it in congee. This is very interesting for me and I wanted to pass it on in case anyone had the congee jones like I do. :laugh:

Sidebar: I thought this was a cut of bone & meat instead of just meat. When I asked for it at the butcher counter, I said, "but geen tien guot". The staff gave me a long winded lecture that it's "but geen tien YOOK" and not "but geen tien GUOT" (yook=meat; guot=bone). Actually, they were rather rude about the whole deal.

So being the well raised American-born Chinese woman that I am, I told them alright, I was wrong, stop being so long-winded and give me the meat if you have it.

Ah, Chinese service. Gotta love it. :hmmm: