• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: FabulousFoodBabe - Brand New Kitchen, Same Old Husband

I echo Pierogi. That is the kitchen of my dreams. I know if I die and go to heaven, I would have a kitchen like that.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

What do you think of the appliance pull-outs in the island (obviously, you love 'em!) Did you get really heavy duty ones or do yours tend to jiggle when the appliance is on? I hear mixed reports - though they seem like a good idea. Are there plugs inside so you can keep the cords plugged in (dangerous?)
Mine are solid, and were built to hold what I'm putting on them (KitchenAid, waffle iron, food processor, meat grinder), and what I intend to put on 'em (sous vide'er). They don't wobble at all. It has taken a little practice but I'm close to addicted. If I had to do it again, I'd have a fold-out work space that came up with them. I have no idea if it's even possible, though.
The deep shelf over your range - why doesn't it get in your way when you are cooking? Does it get gooky on the underside?
Because it's up about 20 inches, over the top of my tallest pot. Stock pots, reductions, etc., can be slid to the back of the range after filling, and the things I need immediately are right up front. (This is part of the beauty of six burners ... :wub: )

Yep, the bottom gets gunky. I do the deep cleaning for the whole range every week, and clean the underside of the shelf at the end of every day, whether or not I use the grill.

Edited to add: The shelf is only about 8-10" deep, so it really doesn't get in the way of taller people who use the stove.

Edited by FabulousFoodBabe (log)
"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

thank you, Miss Pierogi and Miss Goddess. You deserve this kitchen. If you are ever in Chappaqua, you will call and come cookin', won't you? Please?

To Fresser: So you are saying now that I look like a strawberry? Round, seedy, with an adorable but somewhat frond'y haircut. HMPH. Stomping my elegantly clad foot.

Elegantly clad in a pair of black socks. Last night was an absolute blast! And while I'm looking for my camera ...

We have a plumbing leak, which is going to cause a wee bit of delay in picture-posting. The leak is coming out of one of the ceiling lights and yes, is in an area where plumbing was run for the renovation. Since the contractor dealt with our last issue (the disposal fell out! I'm still laughing about it) in about 15 minutes, I've no doubt this will be resolved soon. I have things to do along those lines.

Back soon, I hope,

Fabster

Good Morning, Fabby!

I'm hoping you're high and dry, and that no leaky lights will deter you from your appointed rounds.

I spent our lazy evening envisioning your bright, lively party, spread into all those rooms we've glimpsed, drawn magically to that beacon of steel and cuisinary heaven that is your stove :wub:

We went out for Chinese---I thought of you in those FABulous shoes, welcoming and gracious, serving out that salmon and beef and all the other lovely goodies in that warm, golden light.

Can't wait for pictures!!

rachel, agog

And a HAPPY Birthday to Mr. FAB.

thank you, Miss Pierogi and Miss Goddess.  You deserve this kitchen.  If you are ever in Chappaqua, you will call and come cookin', won't you?  Please?

In a HEARTBEAT ! :wub: And I'll also need a tour of your shoe closet and some puppy ear snuzzling please.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Sigh. SIGH. It's been a heck of a few days and I'm sorry to say that no phots of the party were taken. My "photographer" forgot to do it, she was working so hard. So you'll have to take my word for it, a good time was had by all.

Besides the leak in the ceiling and an issue with the kid (he's fine), we've had a brief cable outage (ack! Giants Game!) and two basset hound escapes.

We're all coming down from the past week and looking forward to Duke/Carolina on Wednesday.

Food for the party: Beef tenderloin with ancho chile mayonnaise (ancho, mayo, lime juice and a bit of minced garlic); poached salmon with tarragon/dill mustard; chicken and pasta salad with feta, kalamata olives, and tomatoes.

No hors' doeuvres were left over! We had Weenies Wellington :wink: , sea bass tartare, lavender goat cheese with chives, manchego with membrillo, and a few other cheeses. Shrimp was served with cocktail sauce and a sweet-hot mustard sauce (equal parts honey-red wine vinegar-dijon). Quesadillas rounded out the offerings, and my husband was very very happy indeed.

Servers left at midnight and a few good old friends stuck around to have a quiet drink with us. I htink we had forty people crammed into three rooms!

to any Bostonians, I say: In Your Face!

To the rest of you, I apologize again for the no-photos, and thank you for your patience this week.

I think the puppy will be Dr. Nigel Brewster, and we'll call him Nigel. Mr. Foodbabe told me that "nigel" is no longer off limits. I forget -- who wins the prize for the best puppy name?

Well, it's too bad about the photos, but the party sounds truly appropriately FAB. What a great way to see Mr. Fabby into his second half-century! Did you do the rolls you wrote about upthread? If so, what was the second flavor combination?

I like the name, too, even if I didn't win the prize.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

:cool:

Wow. I'm with that poster upthread: if I do in fact go to heaven, that's the kitchen that'll be waiting for me there -- along with lots of friends with whom to cook and eat.

Beautiful blog, ma'am.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I think the puppy will be Dr. Nigel Brewster, and we'll call him Nigel.  Mr. Foodbabe told me that "nigel" is no longer off limits.

Okay, I can't resist:

"We're only making plans for Nigel

We only want what's best for him

We're only making plans for Nigel

Nigel just needs this helping hand..."

:laugh:

Thanks for a fabulous blog!

thank you, Miss Pierogi and Miss Goddess.  You deserve this kitchen.  If you are ever in Chappaqua, you will call and come cookin', won't you?  Please?

In a HEARTBEAT ! :wub: And I'll also need a tour of your shoe closet and some puppy ear snuzzling please.

I sure will! :biggrin: Will bring an arsenal of Filipino and Korean condiments along with me and we'll whip up a dozen dishes to feed an army.

Still sighing with dreamy envy... :wub:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Thank you, Fabby, for these delicious peeks into your completed kitchen. We of the Cuisinical Sect would all gladly genuflect at that gleaming golden altar.

And best to little Nigel, as he joins the clan.

(But I'm still wanting a glimpse of Snakey Boy and Cold Flame). They could probably jump in anytime with their own thread, and be avidly followed into legend and culinary history. This would certainly be a welcoming venue for chefs of their credentials.

Edited by racheld (log)

My, my, my! Like the fridge door after a teenager has gone foraging inside it, this blog has been left open?

Good. That gives me a chance to say "Thanks for everything -- especially the drawing of Snakey Boy!"

Lovely kitchen, btw. Maybe I might be worthy of such a space in my next life.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3