• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: FabulousFoodBabe - Brand New Kitchen, Same Old Husband

I am so transparent. Pierogi got it immediately! Yeppers, I'm going to be the blogger of the week, starting officially tomorrow.

Some things are the same from my first foodblog in 2006: Same kids, same dog, still haven't seen a Clinton around town. Some things have changed: Firstborn is away at school (with my car, boo hoo), Secondborn has a host of new critters in his room, and they all need feeding (sigh).

Of course, the kitchen is new. It doesn't look like this any more:

gallery_25501_4925_3135.jpg

I love my new kitchen -- I am eventually going to start teaching in it, but until that starts in March, I am cooking for everyone who'll let me.

Which brings us to: Mr. Foodbabe is turning 50 this week, and as I lead you-all through my new appliances and kitchen, I'll be prepping for his party. Here's the invitation (well, it was on prettier paper):

gallery_28660_5638_5133.jpg

And some things are going to change dramatically, soon. Jean-luc is getting a new brother in a couple of weeks, and we need to name him:

gallery_28660_5638_15813.jpg

So, what would you like to see and know? Im going to try to accommodate special requests and not be too dull :smile:

Oh -- we're also going out to dinner on Mr. Foodbabe's actual birth-day, Thursday, at a much-lauded new place in White Plains.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Yay!!! I am so excited for this blog, Fabby! And the new baby is adorable...I have puppy envy.

What's the deal with the party? Sitdown? Buffet? Cocktails? Just wild times? Can't wait to find out.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Missed the teasers! Glad to see you're blogging, Fabby!

Congratulate your husband on his half century. I'll catch up with him this October 22.

Since your kitchen is all new, of course, we need photos, including the obligatories.

Where in Westchester are you located? Let's see some of your town's native charm. Given the Clinton reference, I'm guessing Chappaqua.

And should you serve Green Bean Casserole, I definitely want documentation!

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Awww, thank you all for the warm welcome! :wub: I curtsy to you and hope I can give a good show. I'm very glad to be here.

I'm really loving these names! The one I had picked out, Carl, can't be used because you need two syllables to call a dog (my husband is fixated on that). He still thinks that one day, a basset hound will come when he's called without a major bribe. I've got another week or so to decide.

Here's a little shot of the kitchen the night we had some friends for dinner:

gallery_28660_5638_11650.jpg

Yeah, that's the birthday boy. He looks like he's about 30, and eats yucky stuff all the time. He finally got some gray hair a few years ago. :rolleyes:

I've mentioned all the creatures in our house; Jean-Luc has already dined. The snake, land crab and skink eat on Mondays so I'll get some photos of that tomorrow (shudder). Fishies eat every night but are harder to photograph. They eat plankton, brine shrimp, and some nasty green flake stuff that my kid can talk about for 30 minutes. Here's a portion of our aquarium

gallery_28660_5638_30904.jpg

See that clam on the left? It was a tiny thing when we got it in 2003. Now, we expect to see Esther Williams swimming out of it any day. :laugh:

So, the party. I'm doing exactly what my husband wants, and he's being slightly cooperative. He refuses to wear a crown or a robe! Geez. OH well. We're having passed hors d'oeuvres, and two food stations. No foie gras, not even a pate or mousse, no lamb, and no Jello shots! (I may go ahead and do those anyway. I had suggested oyster shooters, but he nixed that as well.) As I make the hors d'oeuvres, I'll tell more about the menu. I'm starting tomorrow, with tartlet shells for the sea bass tartare.

Sandy, too funny! I had threatened to have only his "favorite" foods served at the party, like Cheeseburger Helper, pimento cheese on white bread, green beans, All Bran, creamed chipped beef on toast, boneless skinless chicken breasts, salad with Kraft Fat-Free Ranch Dressing, and salmon. He thought I was making fun of him. :wink: Moi? Nevah.

And yes, we live in Chappaqua, via Atlanta, North Jersey, Central Ohio, Central California, and Southern Ohio (for me) and for my husband, add North Carolina, Georgia, South Carolina; and he was born in California while his Dad was in the Navy.

We moved into our house in late July, 2001. I have never in my life lived anywhere for six years, or even five. I love it here and with God as my witness, I will see a Clinton before the election!

Until tomorrow,

Fabby

At the risk of making basset-talk the focus of this blog, I want to say: Sebastian! LOL! And Winston is just as good! Wein, what is yours named, and Cali, you love long dogs because you have a : _______?

I love dogs.

Barney, Bernard, Winston, Sebastian, Harold, and Moe. Hey, the breeder has another litter coming ...

Yeah. I'd be catapulted out of my neighborhood so fast we couldn't capture it for the blog. :laugh: But one can dream!

At the risk of making basset-talk the focus of this blog, I want to say: Sebastian! LOL! And Winston is just as good! Wein, what is yours named, and Cali, you love long dogs because you have a : _______?

I have 2 dachsunds!! Oliver and Harley.

At the risk of making basset-talk the focus of this blog, I want to say:  Sebastian!  LOL!  And Winston is just as good!  Wein, what is yours named, and Cali, you love long dogs because you have a : _______?

We currently have a Baxter. We had a Daisy Mae and a Mickey, both of whom we lost in 2004. I also had a Lulubelle while growing up. I actually wanted to name our first male Elvis, but was vetoed by my husband, hence the Mickey name. And Baxter just didn't look like an Elvis.....so maybe we need to get another one, too. :rolleyes:

I've always enjoyed your writing, and I look forward to this blog and seeing you work in your new, wonderful kitchen!

Where in California? Your husband musta been born on the coast somewhere, in light of his dad's being in the Navy at the time. Where? And where in Central California did you live?

Sorry, I have no bassett names, although it occurs to me that "kitty" has two syllables. :laugh:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

As a resident of Grand Rapids, MI, home of Wolverine World Wide (well, almost -- they're in Rockford, a suburb), maker of Hush Puppies, I offer a piece of trivia. The basset hound who appeared in all those famous Hush Puppies ads in the late 80s was named Jason, full name Jasonian of Westchester (!).

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

FBB, I LOL'ed when I saw the title of your blog. :biggrin: I know this will be a fun ride. I agree with the others, you've got a cutie of a dog. I second the motion for Harvey or Jason as his name.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Congratulations on all the milestones (kitchens, birthdays, puppies etc.). Looking forward to reading about you this week.

Request: you have many animals? Do you buy pet food for all of them, or do you make any? If you make pet food, could that find space in yr blog?

Thanks

M

Can't wait to see your BlueStar in action. I've had the 48" cooktop for a couple of years but would like to hear your take on the oven and broiler function. I occasionally regret not getting the range.

Since you have Jean-Luc, how about Hubert (as in Givenchy) to keep with the French theme?