• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl! What are we making?

Shelby

There's nothing sweet for the superbowl. All these superbowl-related recipes are savory. Why is that? (Except I've seen that cake in the shape of a football field.) I made cookies anyway.

That's probably because sugary food doesn't go as well with beer as savory, salt- and fat-laden food. My guess, anyway :wink:.

I'm making chili, chiles rellenos, pigs in blankets, and cole slaw. I have some onion soup dip for potato chips too.

There's nothing sweet for the superbowl. All these superbowl-related recipes are savory. Why is that? (Except I've seen that cake in the shape of a football field.) I made cookies anyway.

That's probably because sugary food doesn't go as well with beer as savory, salt- and fat-laden food. My guess, anyway :wink:.

Good point. :smile:

hey, shelby - the husband has requested nachos and baked chicken tenders with blue cheese dip.  course i don't get home until 530 or so since i have to work.....

Hey Suzi!! Good to see you. Well, the game probably starts a lot later for you than it does here in Kansas! Nachos sound so good. I've just never perfected them. The cheese gets all hard too fast.......

2 words, girlfriend: Crock Pot! :raz:

:raz:

Ok, as we speak, we're frying yellow pepper rings, onion rings, mushrooms, wings and legs. Getting ready to fry the corn dogs. Mac and cheese is waiting. Celery and bleu cheese along with hot wing sauce, mustard and ketchup on the table.

Y

U

M

GO CARDS

We ended up making the pork from this David Chang (of Momofuku) recipe for Bo Ssam that he made on Martha Stewart's show the other day. It was REALLY good and served with some very vinegary sweet and sour cole slaw; carrots, cucumbers, scallions and avocados; and a ponzu-like dipping sauce; all in a lettuce wrap. Rice noodles with peanut sauce on the side.

Woodchuck Amber Cider to drink, and German chocolate cake because we like it.

Edited by emilyr (log)

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Made a big pot of chili and some cornbread. The chili was great, but the cornbread was a little undercooked. :sad:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany