• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl! What are we making?

Shelby

Another year, another SB!!!! Some of my menu is the same as last year, i.e. the fried wings with hot sauce and blue cheese dressing on the side, crudites. My SIL is making sweet potato fries and bringing something sweet.

I have decided to make chili from venison, 2 kinds...one mild and one with HEAT. I've gotten a great "Chili Primer", of sorts, from a fellow egulleteer, Recoil Rob, and plan to use that as a start off point. There will be all the usual garnishes.....shredded cheese, onions, jalapenos, sour cream, avocado, etc. Probably some corn bread, corn chips, and tortillas.

BEER!!!

Enjoy, everyone!

Go Steelers!

Donna

SB brings out all the meats at our house: chili, wings, teensy mballs and perhaps 'nother whole chicken. Why do I love handling carcasses so much?

Haven't even begun shopping for the crudite. Have started lacing everyone's smoothies with enough fiber to keep it real, tho. Even had the septic guy out two weeks prior.....all about prep, peeps.

Yay!!! Our Superbowl thread resurrected! Oddly enough, we were just discussing what we want to make.

I REALLY want to make corndogs from scratch. I know I know, not very "foodie" food, but I want 'em.

Wings sound good and so do Philly cheese steak sandwiches.

Decisions decisions.

I am STILL drooling over Daniels bleu cheese stuffed wings!

hey, shelby - the husband has requested nachos and baked chicken tenders with blue cheese dip. course i don't get home until 530 or so since i have to work.....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

hey, shelby - the husband has requested nachos and baked chicken tenders with blue cheese dip.  course i don't get home until 530 or so since i have to work.....

Hey Suzi!! Good to see you. Well, the game probably starts a lot later for you than it does here in Kansas! Nachos sound so good. I've just never perfected them. The cheese gets all hard too fast.......

It's getting close.  :shock:

I'm going to friends, they'll make dinner but I want to make pretzels. Last night I did a test run with Alton Brown's recipe; here's an adaptation:

1 1/2 cups warm water

1 tablespoon sugar

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 package active dry yeast

22 oz AP flour (4 1/2 cups)

2 oz unsalted butter, melted

Vegetable oil, for pan

10 cups water

2/3 cup baking soda

1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water

Pretzel salt

Combine water, sugar and kosher salt in bowl; sprinkle yeast on top. Allow to sit until mixture begins to foam. Add flour and butter and, using dough hook, mix on low until well combined. Change to medium and knead until smooth and pulls away from side of bowl, 4-5 min. Put dough in clean oiled bowl, cover with plastic, let rise 50-55 min or until doubled in size.

Preheat to 450 F. Line 2 half-sheet pans with parchment, brush with oil. Set aside.

Bring 10 cups water and baking soda to boil in 8-qt saucepan or roasting pan.

Divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll each  to a 24” rope. Make a U-shape, form shape of a pretzel. Place onto parchment.

Place pretzels into boiling water, 1 by 1, for 30 sec. Remove from water, return to sheet pan, brush top of each with beaten yolk mixture and sprinkle with pretzel salt. Bake until dark golden brown, 12-14 min. Transfer to rack.

The taste was very, very good, but I thought they were too soft. (The melted butter?) Also, they turned green!!! This probably has something to do with the baking soda, but what? And how do I avoid it? Alton Brown uses much more soda than I've seen in any other recipe, most of which require 2-3 Tbs of baking soda, not 2/3 of a cup. But I suspect the amount of soda is why the taste was as good as it was. But they're very unappealing when they turn green, no matter how good they taste.  :sad:  Any suggestions?

But if you have soft pretzles you need Obatzer/Obatzda

8 oz Camembert

2 oz Butter

2oz Weissbeer

Salt

Pepper

Paprika

Carraway seeds

Thin sliced red onion

Blend first 3 ingrediants

Season with next 3

Top with carraway seeds and onion

Yummy

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Shame I don't have any recipe for "Roasted Cardinals"!! :raz:

I'm leaning towards nachos, maybe some brats, and plenty of beer.

My co-workers and I were talking about "Cardinal" food today. We usually try to come up with food based on the team names and figured we could do game hens or something. Steelers were a problem. Kebabs on steel skewers? Meh. We're not really cooking. Just planning. :raz:

I'm probably going to do nachos too. And burgers or fish tacos. Something with lots of avocados because they're actually on sale and ripe at the same time this week!

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

hey, shelby - the husband has requested nachos and baked chicken tenders with blue cheese dip.  course i don't get home until 530 or so since i have to work.....

Hey Suzi!! Good to see you. Well, the game probably starts a lot later for you than it does here in Kansas! Nachos sound so good. I've just never perfected them. The cheese gets all hard too fast.......

HELLO, GIRLFRIEND!!!

my husband has never expressed an interest in super bowl food but now....

when i have to work....

ok - so i have some spinach tortillas that i will cut up and bake, some salsa, some chopped avacado, some grated cheddar cheese and some chopped black olives.

some chicken tenders that i will bake then toss with some bbq/hot sauce and serve with some carmelized onion blue cheese dressing with *GASP* some chopped lettuce underneath to serve as salad/roughage.

i'm on a meat freak right now so will chop some beef into 1/3" mince and make some chili with some anchos and accent with some black and pinto beans.

no cardinal recipes here - we prefer to admire them than eat them... pigeon in tagine perhaps? cornish hen with an apricot preserve/red french dressing/onion soup dip sauce - at least it is kinda red.

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

By request, I'm making these mini ham sandwiches, in brown and serve rolls. They're really good, it's diced or thinly sliced ham, shredded sharp cheddar, homemade honey mustard, stuffed into tiny dinner rolls, then packed on a sheet pan, and brushed with garlic butter, sprinkled with some kind of seeds, and baked till brown and meltylicious. Total crowd pleaser.

Also, stuffed mushrooms, potato skins, and mini cheesecakes. We're not really football people, so we're going to our first ever Super Bowl thing.

By request, I'm making these mini ham sandwiches, in brown and serve rolls. They're really good, it's diced or thinly sliced ham, shredded sharp cheddar, homemade honey mustard, stuffed into tiny dinner rolls, then packed on a sheet pan, and brushed with garlic butter, sprinkled with some kind of seeds, and baked till brown and meltylicious.  Total crowd pleaser.

Also, stuffed mushrooms, potato skins, and mini cheesecakes.  We're not really football people, so we're going to our first ever Super Bowl thing.

Y

U

M

M

M

M

M

:biggrin: Those sound wonderful

Unfortunately, i'll be working, so I think I might be making food for the few staff we will have on, just kind of throw our own little superbowl shindig. For some reason I haven't really wanted wings or anything fried this year, so I was thinking maybe a nice seafood chowder. Scallops, haddock, lobster stock base - I have some decent stock kicking around in the freezer at work that keeps eying me every time I open it. Little brandy and some fresh thyme, it should come out pretty good.

Was also thinking on a flatbread pizza. Did a BBQ Duck pizza a few months back for something else, came out pretty tasty, so I was thinking on modding that a little bit for the superbowl ? Haven't really put any thought into this until I saw this thread lol

Also, do have a friend getting me some imberico ham from a specialty place around here, kinda as a late birthday gift. Won't see him until superbowl sunday, and almost thought on using it for a platter with some friends, but afraid i'll have to keep that one just to myself though :raz:

Edited by MattyC (log)

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality.

We going to our friends' house -- they're making a cassoulet. I could accept that as a Superbowl tradition. :cool:

They got inspired to make it because they want the Steelers Toulouse.

Sorry.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

my wife and i are going to a superbowl party at one of her clients homes.

she's making oven-roasted jalapenos (we'll hopefully find room in their oven to do the reheating!) stuffed with bacon, cilantro, A1 compound butter (steaksauce butter, yum!), and queso fresco.

i'm making fried winter vegetable chips (carrot, parsnip, turnip, beet, etc.,.). A mixed, gigantic bowl of fried goodies. i'm going to whip together a roasted garlic and lime mayonnaise (mmm...handmade mayo!) for a dipping sauce. i'm going to loosen the emulsion with as much lime juice as i can pack into it.

-tw-

eGullet Ethics Signatory

Hooters wings. Lots of Coronas. Good friends. And a big ass TV. :D

Are these wings that you order from Hooters, or make from a Hooters recipe? I had wings at a Hooters a few weeks back, and -- I was more than impressed, happily, surprisingly. And the brea-- sorry, sorry.

Have y'all seen this? "Holy Taco's Greatest Snack Food Stadium ever built."

Total Deliciousness Factor "1 Billion trillion, dude. One billion trillion."

Too funny. Check it out.

Warning though...I was just going clickety through a bunch of links when I found it. No idea if the rest of the site is SFWOK.

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Hooters wings. Lots of Coronas. Good friends. And a big ass TV. :D

Are these wings that you order from Hooters, or make from a Hooters recipe? I had wings at a Hooters a few weeks back, and -- I was more than impressed, happily, surprisingly. And the brea-- sorry, sorry.

We order them from Hooters and pick them up around noon-ish and reheat as needed. For what they are, I love Hooters wings.

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

Well, I have a chicken out. I think we'll make a couple of wings, some chicken strips and legs. Fried, wet and spicy.

I found a couple of corn dog recipes, so those are a go, too.

I'll be reporting throughout the day :biggrin:

hah--mizducky had the same thought as I did!

I've actually gotten an invitation to a Superbowl party, for the first time in forever. Part of me wants to knock out a plateful of Vietnamese salad rolls, partly because they're that rare thing, a healthy yummy finger food; and partly because I have a killer recipe for the peanut dipping sauce to go with them. I'd also bring some crudite so none of the sauce goes to waste. However, if this week gets as busy as I fear it might, though, I can always go more low impact, and make some hummus bi tahini and/or baba ganoush.

the Hub is going to a guys only SB party--taking Asian style wings --using Hugh Carpenter's hoisin-based barbecue sauce.

But I am having a private party with many subtitled B&W movies where almost nothing happens (or possibly too much happens) and Vietnamese spring rolls & champagne.

Z

I decided to go all out this year so I bought a six of Hoegaarden and stuff to make nachos. :biggrin:

I know, I know... I do too much.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Husband going to the neighbor's .....I am not a football fan, so a quiet evening with PBS and a good book is in order. I am sending a big container of "Cardinal Red" popcorn. Melt butter in OO, add in paprika, peminton Spainish smoked paprika, a bit of cayenne, a bit of salt, and some Italian herbs. Spoon liquid on popped corn as with plain butter. Very tasty....the smoked papricka (which I love) really comes through.

As Tri2Cook said "I know, I do too much"!

I just made a fresh batch of the pretzels. Solved the "green" problem, it was the pot I was using to boil them, and also I used a bit less baking soda. But that Alton Brown recipe is a really good one, and very simple.

There's nothing sweet for the superbowl. All these superbowl-related recipes are savory. Why is that? (Except I've seen that cake in the shape of a football field.) I made cookies anyway.

2 words, girlfriend: Crock Pot! :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"