• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl! What are we making?

Shelby

I try to find something I would normally never buy and watch half time so that I know what everyone is talking about when they talk about the commercials.

Last time I went to the grocery store I bought a box of frozen mini hot dogs wrapped in dough of some sort.  I am looking forward to that.

no.... just grab a can of crescent biscuit dough,some mini franks and some brown mustard. it couldn't be simpler.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I'm going to a potluck event, and I'm bringing a little bit of southern football tradition to Wyoming -- I've got a big pot of boiled peanuts on the stove ready to go. I don't know what all else will be there, except I do know there will be rocky mountain oysters. South meets west on that table.

I'm going to a potluck event, and I'm bringing a little bit of southern football tradition to Wyoming -- I've got a big pot of boiled peanuts on the stove ready to go.  I don't know what all else will be there, except I do know there will be rocky mountain oysters.  South meets west on that table.

Rocky mountain oysters.....*drooling* Haven't had those forever!

I'm going to a potluck event, and I'm bringing a little bit of southern football tradition to Wyoming -- I've got a big pot of boiled peanuts on the stove ready to go.  I don't know what all else will be there, except I do know there will be rocky mountain oysters.  South meets west on that table.

Drooling? :wacko:

sigh

We're cleaning up the following:

sausage and peppers in the crock pot

white turkey chili

Dad's (aka Mark Bittman's) no-knead bread and my cornmuffins

crudites with helluva good onion dip (storebought)

7 layer dip (homemade)

roasted peppers and cauliflower

3 kinds of olives

deviled eggs in the retro deviled egg plate from grandmom

shrimp cocktail

canned foie, straight outta France

cheese plate with mixed charcuterie

homemade brownies.

Hmmm...did I forget anything?

I forgot to put out the goat cheese and fruit plate. Shucks, more for us tomorrow!

Wrigleyville Turducken Project Results:

gallery_40942_5667_44511.jpg

It actually worked, all the meat was cooked and was quite tasty. Drippings made some really great gravy as well. Would I do it again...eh, probably not, better to have all of the birds have their own tastes rather than all muddled together but as a technical project it was pretty fun.

Hope everyone else enjoyed their evening, I could have cared less about the game even with the shocker finish, but at least the food was good.

Thanks Shelby, my "trussing" used the same technique I use to wrap bundles of tree prunings and lawn garbage, apparently these landscape skills can work in the kitchen to.

Drooling? :wacko:

I guess it's an acquired taste? :biggrin:

Well, here's the pictures :biggrin:

Venison bbq meatballs

gallery_54689_4781_981832.jpg

Tortilla roll ups (yeah, I'm a gourmet :raz: )

gallery_54689_4781_805991.jpg

My table in front of my dirty window

gallery_54689_4781_804232.jpg

Wings, deviled eggs, pasta salad

gallery_54689_4781_830939.jpg

gallery_54689_4781_1275587.jpg

And, finally, the team I wish would've won :hmmm: But, I guess you have to win the play offs first :raz:

gallery_54689_4781_552158.jpg

We did wings, and a guest brought a couple of kinds of dip and assorted chips, but the big hit was the larb. I made a pounds worth of meat, assuming I'd have some leftover for breakfast, but no, they gobbled it right up!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I made the Chocolate Peppermint Cookies (again) from the "Cotton Country Collection" Cookbook. They were a huge hit. The cookies are topped with a simple glaze (2 squares of melted unsweetened Baker's chocolate and 2 tblsp of butter) that melts as soon as you touch the cookies leaving you with chocolate covered fingers (as if that's a bad thing :laugh: ). So I'd change the glaze in the future to something that doesn't melt so easily.

The party hostess made "Stout-Marinated Ribs with Honey Glaze" from Bon Appetit (Aug. 1992, I believe) that were amazingly good. The original recipe calls for the ribs to be barbecued but she baked them in the oven. The meat just fell off the bones. You could taste a mellow back note of the Stout and the glaze wasn't too sweet. Pork heaven! :wub:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Well done, Shelby! I especially love the pick up outside your window. :wub:

Your wings look so much better than mine. My "helper" was missing in action all day (in fact, he didn't show up until after kick-off) and with 12 lbs of wings plus all the other fixins' (turkey chili w/accompaniments, homemade yeast rolls) and desserts (Ina Garten's Coconut Cake, Dorie's Chocolate Oatmeal Almost Candy Bars and her Black and White Banana Loaf), I just didn't have the energy to try to stuff the wings with blue cheese and fry them.

I ended up marinating the wings overnight in buttermilk and Louisiana Red Hot sauce, then roasting at 475F for 45 minutes. There was not a wing left! But when I have a smaller crowd or more help, I'm making those blue-cheese-stuffed wings. :raz:

I forgot to take a picture until half the wings were gone . . . .

gallery_51874_4337_831081.jpg

Turkey and Bean Chili with chopped lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, sour cream and grated cheddar and yeasted dinner rolls (my traditional cornbread was vetoed in favor of these rolls)

gallery_51874_4337_247572.jpg

Edited by kbjesq (log)

Well done, Shelby!  I especially love the pick up outside your window.  :wub:

Your wings look so much better than mine.  My "helper" was missing in action all day (in fact, he didn't show up until after kick-off) and with 12 lbs of wings plus all the other fixins' (turkey chili w/accompaniments, homemade yeast rolls) and desserts (Ina Garten's Coconut Cake, Dorie's Chocolate Oatmeal Almost Candy Bars and her Black and White Banana Loaf), I just didn't have the energy to try to stuff the wings with blue cheese and fry them.

I ended up marinating the wings overnight in buttermilk and Louisiana Red Hot sauce, then roasting at 475F for 45 minutes.  There was not a wing left!  But when I have a smaller crowd or more help, I'm making those blue-cheese-stuffed wings.  :raz:

I forgot to take a picture until half the wings were gone . . . .

gallery_51874_4337_831081.jpg

Turkey and Bean Chili with chopped lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, sour cream and grated cheddar and yeasted dinner rolls (my traditional cornbread was vetoed in favor of these rolls by the masses)

gallery_51874_4337_247572.jpg

OH KB, you made my day. Thanks! OMG I was so embarrassed by the truck lol--it's been SO snowy/muddy/icy/muddy/muddy/muddy here.

Your wings look WONDERFUL and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your countertop! Your rolls look yummy, too!

danf - lovely turducken! Bravo for trying it!

Shelby - I love tortilla rolls ups! and the wings look fantastic. I am feeling your sadness. We rooted for the Giants, but I would have much rather been singing "Hail to the Redskins" :angry:

kbjesq - your wings look great, too and I covet the bowl they are in :wub:

My contributions to our friends' Super Bowl party:

Crab Dip:

gallery_34972_3925_13352.jpg

Cornbread (she made chili):

gallery_34972_3925_62727.jpg

Devil's Food Caramel Torte:

gallery_34972_3570_12944.jpg

gallery_34972_3570_92701.jpg

Rustic Nut Bars:

gallery_34972_3570_6254.jpg

Kim

I made chili - even though I don't watch the Super Bowl. But it meant I had the kitchen to myself as everyone else was somewhere else watching the game.

gallery_29577_4663_381603.jpg

Buried under all that cilantro, cheese, and sour cream is chili made with stewing beef, brown ale, tomato paste, pasilla, New Mexico, chipotle, and poblano chiles, and pinto and black beans.

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

Kim--those nut bars look fabulous!  They'd be perfect for my family--we love nuts, and the more the better!  I hope the recipe is on your website already, because I'm headed on over there!

They are there! I had to print out copies for my hostess on Sunday already!!

Kim

gallery_34972_3570_92701.jpg

I'm glad that I was nowhere near your party, Kim, as that piece of cake would have thrown me off my diet in a heartbeat. Yeeowza!

PS The bowl is from TJ Maxx. I gave up buying serving dishes (and glasses!) anywhere else, because we have a lot of clumsy people in my family and they are always getting busted. Later I found out that the pattern (American Atelier Baroque) is still available (e.g., here), but at the rate that we break things, I wouldn't consider paying regular retail prices for other pieces! (If you look closely, you can see the big chip in the matching platter next to the bowl :angry: )

I decided to try out my husband's new deep fryer (I very helpfully bought him one for Christmas) AND my mandolin (two new kitchen toys at the same time, what fun) and made spicy sweet potato chips with honey-blue cheese dip. I had seen something like it on Tyler's Ultimate (which I was only watching b/c I was at the gym, I swear) and wanted to try it for myself.

The sweet potatoes were sliced ~1/16-inch thick and fried at about 340-360 for 5 minutes, then dusted with sea salt and a mixture of hot pimenton and Penzey's hot chili powder blend. They were awesome--and I can't wait for another excuse to make them!

Here's a picture:

gallery_47119_5150_246672.jpg

PS: That cake looks excellent--and I don't even really like chocolate. :smile:

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

• 11 months later...

It's getting close. :shock:

I'm going to friends, they'll make dinner but I want to make pretzels. Last night I did a test run with Alton Brown's recipe; here's an adaptation:

1 1/2 cups warm water

1 tablespoon sugar

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 package active dry yeast

22 oz AP flour (4 1/2 cups)

2 oz unsalted butter, melted

Vegetable oil, for pan

10 cups water

2/3 cup baking soda

1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water

Pretzel salt

Combine water, sugar and kosher salt in bowl; sprinkle yeast on top. Allow to sit until mixture begins to foam. Add flour and butter and, using dough hook, mix on low until well combined. Change to medium and knead until smooth and pulls away from side of bowl, 4-5 min. Put dough in clean oiled bowl, cover with plastic, let rise 50-55 min or until doubled in size.

Preheat to 450 F. Line 2 half-sheet pans with parchment, brush with oil. Set aside.

Bring 10 cups water and baking soda to boil in 8-qt saucepan or roasting pan.

Divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll each to a 24” rope. Make a U-shape, form shape of a pretzel. Place onto parchment.

Place pretzels into boiling water, 1 by 1, for 30 sec. Remove from water, return to sheet pan, brush top of each with beaten yolk mixture and sprinkle with pretzel salt. Bake until dark golden brown, 12-14 min. Transfer to rack.

The taste was very, very good, but I thought they were too soft. (The melted butter?) Also, they turned green!!! This probably has something to do with the baking soda, but what? And how do I avoid it? Alton Brown uses much more soda than I've seen in any other recipe, most of which require 2-3 Tbs of baking soda, not 2/3 of a cup. But I suspect the amount of soda is why the taste was as good as it was. But they're very unappealing when they turn green, no matter how good they taste. :sad: Any suggestions?

Cool topic! Junk food!!!

I am going to make Nachos with a black bean/shadow beni paste I made earlier this week.

I am going to cheat and buy pizza from one of our fav pizza places, get a party size, and cut little finger slices for finger food

Guac and chips

Oh, and who can forget the beer...probably a variety of white beers this year as that seems to be my thing lately.

It's getting close.  :shock:

I'm going to friends, they'll make dinner but I want to make pretzels. Last night I did a test run with Alton Brown's recipe; here's an adaptation:

1 1/2 cups warm water

1 tablespoon sugar

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 package active dry yeast

22 oz AP flour (4 1/2 cups)

2 oz unsalted butter, melted

Vegetable oil, for pan

10 cups water

2/3 cup baking soda

1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water

Pretzel salt

Combine water, sugar and kosher salt in bowl; sprinkle yeast on top. Allow to sit until mixture begins to foam. Add flour and butter and, using dough hook, mix on low until well combined. Change to medium and knead until smooth and pulls away from side of bowl, 4-5 min. Put dough in clean oiled bowl, cover with plastic, let rise 50-55 min or until doubled in size.

Preheat to 450 F. Line 2 half-sheet pans with parchment, brush with oil. Set aside.

Bring 10 cups water and baking soda to boil in 8-qt saucepan or roasting pan.

Divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll each  to a 24” rope. Make a U-shape, form shape of a pretzel. Place onto parchment.

Place pretzels into boiling water, 1 by 1, for 30 sec. Remove from water, return to sheet pan, brush top of each with beaten yolk mixture and sprinkle with pretzel salt. Bake until dark golden brown, 12-14 min. Transfer to rack.

The taste was very, very good, but I thought they were too soft. (The melted butter?) Also, they turned green!!! This probably has something to do with the baking soda, but what? And how do I avoid it? Alton Brown uses much more soda than I've seen in any other recipe, most of which require 2-3 Tbs of baking soda, not 2/3 of a cup. But I suspect the amount of soda is why the taste was as good as it was. But they're very unappealing when they turn green, no matter how good they taste.  :sad:  Any suggestions?

:blink: Green?!? I would suspect the water has something in it that is reacting to the soda; try different water. :blink:

As far as the softness goes, try rolling them thinner...but as this is a yeasted recipe, I think Alton is aiming for the soft, "mall" style pretzels here.