• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl! What are we making?

Shelby

Notice the melted blue cheese in the wings. They are awesome..  I waS expecting someone to ask about the breaded and fried oxtail terrine sandwich..

Those look fabulous (though I still maintain that I would re-dip in blue cheese dressing!). Thanks for the photos. I'll bite on the oxtail... got photos of that, too?

P.S. To post photos here you upload them to ImageGullet - see here.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Deep fry:

gallery_15057_2395_75621.jpg

Enjoy:

gallery_15057_2395_30155.jpg

Notice the melted blue cheese in the wings. They are awesome..  I waS expecting someone to ask about the breaded and fried oxtail terrine sandwich..

Ding ding ding! This is a winner!

I am soooo going to make these and everyone is going to :wub: me!!

Thank you not only for the idea, but for the pictorial. A few more questions, though. Would you say about a tbs. of blue cheese stuffed in each wing? And they just stay together in the fryer - you don't batter them or pin them shut with toothpicks or anything? What temp do you fry and for how long?

Geez. I had suggested to my family that I do larb, potstickers, etc., etc., and I was informed that under no uncertain circumstances that we must have wings and cheesie cheezie dip. I'll cross the cilantro, ginger and Thai Basil off the list -- at least for this weekend.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Geez.  I had suggested to my family that I do larb, potstickers, etc., etc.,

Oooh, potstickers, good call! My wife loves potstickers. What do you (or rather, what were you going to!) use in yours? I use pork, ginger, garlic etc., following the the Cook's Illustrated recipe.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Beers - Brooklyn and Sam Adams, for obvious reasons.

Y'know- as much as I like Sammy I have to admit that it is coming absolutely nowhere near my domicile this Sunday. I'm definitely getting something local.

This thread has reminded me that my plans are still pretty darned up in the air, but I do have one thing that I'm commited to. It's pretty easy, but tasty just the same- I like to make a casserole out of Cuban picadillo (sort of like sloppy joes but with olives and raisins added) and sweet plantains. It's just the sort of thing I can't get enough of, and it is easy enough to do ahead of time so that during the game I'm just watchin' and eatin'

For the same reason I also like to do a spread of cold mezze type dished like babaghanous, lentil salad, etc. etc. We'll see how that goes as the weekend approaches.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Ding ding ding!  This is a winner! 

I am soooo going to make these and everyone is going to  :wub:  me!!

Thank you not only for the idea, but for the pictorial.  A few more questions, though.  Would you say about a tbs. of blue cheese stuffed in each wing?  And they just stay together in the fryer - you don't batter them or pin them shut with toothpicks or anything?  What temp do you fry and for how long?

I am really not that technical in frying these up. I just have a couple of pots with oil and heat it up.. I am guessing its at 400 degrees for a large shot of wings because of temp drop... When you fry, the oil cools so, I keep it hot so it recovers quickly..

I would guess its a half a tablespoon but, I really just stuff them in after making a little slit by the bone..I then coat in flour that is salted and seasoned.. White pepper is in there, a little cayenne, but garlic powders would be good or whatever dry spices you want..

In terms of when they are done, my simple answer would be, when they are ready.. The way I cook, something is done, when it looks like I want to eat it.. Take a wing out and eat one, then you will know for sure.

Edited by Daniel (log)

I am really not that technical in frying these up.  I just have a couple of pots with oil and heat it up.. I am guessing its at 400 degrees for a large shot of wings because of temp drop... When you fry, the oil cools so, I keep it hot so it recovers quickly..

I would guess its a half a tablespoon but, I really just stuff them in after making a little slit by the bone..I then coat in flour that is salted and seasoned.. White pepper is in there, a little cayenne, but garlic powders would be good or whatever dry spices you want..

In terms of when they are done, my simple answer would be, when they are ready.. The way I cook, something is done, when it looks like I want to eat it.. Take a wing out and eat one, then you will know for sure.

OK, this works for me. (As it conforms perfectly to my normal practice of disregarding technical aspects of recipes and using them strictly for inspiration :raz: ). Thanks again for this brilliant idea!

We are doing the hosting, and I'm making (by popular request) the Havana Moon Chili (from epicurious). It's got olives, golden raisins, slivered almonds along with the usual suspects and people can't get enough of this (I also have to make rice, and one - there's always one! - in the crowd who wants spaghetti for under the chili.) It's different but boy is it good.

Then so far we having coming: a cheese and fruit board; teriyaki wings, buffalo wings, someone is sure to bring a crudite platter and the kids will get Annie's Mac n Cheese. The caterers I share with made a crab/artichoke "bechamel" (I can't think of a better word for it, and I forgot what they were calling it) last week and it was fantastic. I think I might have to make some of that, too.

Then for dessert, it's that oreo mud cake thing with chopped oreos, whipped cream and I don't know what else is in it, but everyone loves it!

ETA: I'm told that this is called "dirt cake".

Edited by JeanneCake (log)

Havana Moon Chili sounds very much like picadillo.. Also really good in empanadas, fried yuca or garlic yuca is a good addition.. Yuca nachos would be good.. I would check out some Cuban Recipes and see how it compares.

Edited by Daniel (log)

Insane Thai Buffalo Chicken Tenders With Stilton Bleu Ranch Dippin Sauce

I am going to sous vide some brined chicken tenders at 140 for about 25 mins.

Im then gonna take and dip the tenders in Newcastle rice flour beer batter and deep fry them.

Then toss in homemade Thai Buffalo Sauce and serve with the dippin sauce!

I've actually gotten an invitation to a Superbowl party, for the first time in forever. Part of me wants to knock out a plateful of Vietnamese salad rolls, partly because they're that rare thing, a healthy yummy finger food; and partly because I have a killer recipe for the peanut dipping sauce to go with them. I'd also bring some crudite so none of the sauce goes to waste. However, if this week gets as busy as I fear it might, though, I can always go more low impact, and make some hummus bi tahini and/or baba ganoush.

Miz Ducky, can we assume the salad rolls and peanut dipping sauce will be in recipe gullet???? :rolleyes:

Alas, I can't put the peanut sauce recipe into RecipeGullet due to copyright rules, but you can check it out directly via this link. The salad rolls, I'll see if I get a free moment later today. They're so dirt-simple, though--the only tricky bit for me was learning how to work with the rice paper. Once I got that down, the rest was just slingin' stuff in and wrappin'.

Edited to add: Aha! No need for me to post a recipe for the summer rolls on RecipeGullet, as there is already one up there: clickie

And here's the link to Rachel's pictorial on making them: click-o

You can really wrap just about anything you can think of into one of these rolls, as long as it's (a) not so drippy or warm that it'll make the finished roll soggy; and (b) not so stiff that it'll poke holes through the wrappers. I'm thinking next time I'm going to add some alfalfa sprouts--no, not traditional, but I'm thinking they'll make a nice, more flavorful and nutrititious substitute for at least some of the vermicelli noodles.

Edited by mizducky (log)

I suppose the internet should know that in a drink-addled fit of culinary bravado I told various friends and relatives that I would cook anything they could come up with for the superbowl. Turns out that means I am making a turducken. I'm not quite sure how this happened, every large meal I've ever made for these folks has been Thai, Vietnamese, or some combination of S and SE Asian food, and this is what they come up with. At least I'm not paying for the materials and I'll get bones for stock. Preparations start tonight after work...

Pretty simple.. I take the wing, make a slit, stuff blue cheese in, then deep fry.. You cover them with sauce when they come out, I actually use Original Anchor Bar out of convenience and preference..  No need to dip them into blue cheese dressing.. Still need it though for the celery and carrots.

Can I ask what kind of blue you stuffed the wings with? And I'd imagine that the prep on these would be pretty annoying if you're making them for more than like four people.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

It will be just DH, myself and a friend here tomorrow night...

We will be doing doggie adoption related stuff all day tomorrow. So, tonight I made Jayme's carnitas (her recipe has become my jumping-off place for porky goodness)... 2 lbs. pork butt, a couple of Meyer lemons worth of juice, a couple of chipotles, some onion, good toasted/ground cumin, etc... I tasted 'em before putting in the fridge and OH MY!!! I think these carnitas might be one of the best things I've ever cooked!!!

I also made pinto beans ala Fat Guy... 90 min. in the oven with a good smoked ham hock. Again... I tasted, and tasted and tasted.... just the broth was SOOO good!

I have 6 nice avocados waiting to become guac and a few other goodies... I'll make some rice, grill some peppers and onions... warm up some tortillas (no time to make them myself)... We'll have a FEAST!

Why are we doing Tex-Mex for an East Coast game? I was just in the mood for it!

Pam

It's only me, my DH, my dear MIL, my brother and a couple of friends for the big game but this is my plan for the eats:

1. Last night I cut up country spare ribs into 2 inch cubes, dry marinated them overnight with cumin, s&p, crushed up bay leaves, fresh thyme (a take off of Paula Wolfert's Pork Coddled in OO). Today.....Instead of OO, I slow cooked the meat in lard (adding garlic to the mix). Plan to shred the meat and serve tomorrow with corn and flour tortillas, quacamole, and salsa.

2. I'm originally from the Pittsburgh area. Plan to deep fry some chicken wings, season with good ole' Lawry's seasoned salt!!!!! Have Buffalo sauce on the side and a great recipe I have made hundreds of times with great results. Blue Cheese With Onions and Celery

3. Bagna Cauda with lots of raw and some blanched vegies.......and my first bread from the bread in 5 minutes thread (I have the cookbook). Wish me luck on that since I already made some mild deviations from the original recipe and hope the hydration is correct :blink: .

4. Also broiled some chicken wings today (that can be reheated) from a modified recipe (has to be because I did it from memory) for the wing recipe from the powdered ranch dressing packet.......hot sauce, powdered ranch dressing, vinegar. Marinate the wings then broil, turning a few times. I added some "Colon Blow" hot sauce the mix so they have some HEAT!!!!

I do not have any major favorites for the game but love any excuse to have a small party and COOK!!

edited due to spelling corrections

Edited by eldereno (log)

Donna

My "famous" (scuse the expression) macaroni salad. My mom's recipe; a pound of good pasta cooked al dente, chopped celery, chopped onions, mayo sour cream and salt and white pepper to taste. Going to my fraternal club, the Orioles for a gang feed. For some reason, they love it! :rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Wrigleyville Turducken Project Live:

So liveblogging the turducken wouldnt work, too much poultry in the keyboard. This is a midway updated. It's in the oven as we speak, hopefully it will be ready to eat around game time. I'll post the rest of the gory bird shots over in a turducken thread.

This is what is looked like ready for roasting. Yeah that's butter on top, and fatty (18lbs with bones) down there barely fit into a roasting pan. I know the trussing is probably wrong, this was the first time I've had to do it, but its the best we could do with a bird stuffed with two birds and no bones.

gallery_40942_5667_26886.jpg

Everyone's food sounds SO good!

Thanks for the picture, Dan! I think your trussing looks great.

Ok, today we're having:

Hot wings with bleu cheese and celery

Venison meatballs in bbq sauce

Tortilla roll ups and salsa

Veggie dip/chips

Pasta salad

Deviled eggs--made them with capers and a bit of tuna, we'll see if they're good

Cherry pie