• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl! What are we making?

Shelby

I just did a practice run of a recipe for next weekend...its actually for a wedding on Saturday but...

From the Pate Choux thread

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=60057

I used the first recipe given and added minced ham and shreaded provelone cheese and made some nice little puffs. I think for next week I will add scallion, black pepper and Parm also.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

About twelve years ago, my husband made macaroni and cheese on Superbowl Sunday and it has become our tradition to do so. Every year it's a little different mix of cheeses, but almost always with a little blue for some zing. Over the years, we have come to turn it into a little party, with 6 or 8 friends joining us, which is great, except that it cuts into my leftovers.

We try to balance the mac & cheese with some somewhat healthy appetizers, but there has to be guacamole.

A couple of years ago, I guess with the addition of the wild card games, the Superbowl got pushed a week or so later, so that it falls in the first week of February. This suits me just fine as it now lands on or near my birthday. My present to myself every year is making my own cake -- I love to bake and don't have much opportunity to make cakes. This year I'm planning to do Dorie Greenspan's Devil's Food White Out Cake.

About twelve years ago, my husband made macaroni and cheese on Superbowl Sunday and it has become our tradition to do so.  Every year it's a little different mix of cheeses, but almost always with a little blue for some zing.  Over the years, we have come to turn it into a little party, with 6 or 8 friends joining us, which is great, except that it cuts into my leftovers. 

We try to balance the mac & cheese with some somewhat healthy appetizers, but there has to be guacamole. 

A couple of years ago, I guess with the addition of the wild card games, the Superbowl got pushed a week or so later, so that it falls in the first week of February.  This suits me just fine as it now lands on or near my birthday.  My present to myself every year is making my own cake -- I love to bake and don't have much opportunity to make cakes.  This year I'm planning to do Dorie Greenspan's Devil's Food White Out Cake.

Oooooh I just love macaroni and cheese. I'll have to check out that cake, too!

I'm making an 8 layer dip so I can watch the game and not spend alot of time cooking/bbqing.

Is that the one that layers the beans, sour cream etc.?

I love that!

Yes, that's the one. I add a layer of seasoned & cooked ground beef to make it a complete "meal". It's only once a year after all. :biggrin:

Each year my hubby and I make "toasties" we call them. They are subsandwhiches that are piled with just about every deli meat you can think of and provalone put under the broiler then top with lettuce, tomato, pesto, olive saled. Serve with chips and dip. YUM! I love football..

but now that I have the finger food thing stuck in my head some pate choux may just be in order....

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I am going to miss having football to watch on Sunday's after next week. It's not so much the food I eat during the game, but I typically cook while watching football, so Sundays have become "confection days" at our house over the last couple months. For the game: nachos and beer. Thrilling, I know... :hmmm: During the game I am going to make some kind of fondant and invertase confection. Maybe the mints... dunno yet.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I am going to miss having football to watch on Sunday's after next week. It's not so much the food I eat during the game, but I typically cook while watching football, so Sundays have become "confection days" at our house over the last couple months. For the game: nachos and beer. Thrilling, I know... :hmmm: During the game I am going to make some kind of fondant and invertase confection. Maybe the mints... dunno yet.

I'm going to miss football, too!

You guys are all making me hungry!!!

Nothing at all boring about wings and nachos!!! YUM

I'm making a list :biggrin:

We're hosting the party so I get to make as much and as many things as I want - the menu keeps changing (growing).

- Pulled pork sandwiches with vinegar, or mustard sauce

- My award winning chili (so what if the competition was against 10 neighbors who don't like to cook) :wink:

- wings

- mini homemade taquito's

- a cheese fondue

- a cheese tray. We just went to Caputo's Cheese Market (suburban Chicago) and brought home 16 cheeses that we'll rotate throughout the evening.

- a vegetable tray with tasty dips

- beer, wine, margarita's, and many non-alcoholic beverages

I'm relying on our friends to bring the sweets. I'm not very good with baking and so forth.

We're hosting the party so I get to make as much and as many things as I want - the menu keeps changing (growing).

- Pulled pork sandwiches with vinegar, or mustard sauce

- My award winning chili (so what if the competition was against 10 neighbors who don't like to cook)  :wink:

- wings

- mini homemade taquito's

- a cheese fondue

- a cheese tray. We just went to Caputo's Cheese Market (suburban Chicago) and brought home 16 cheeses that we'll rotate throughout the evening.

- a vegetable tray with tasty dips

- beer, wine, margarita's, and many non-alcoholic beverages

I'm relying on our friends to bring the sweets. I'm not very good with baking and so forth.

How do you make your taquito's?

Hi Shelby

I hesitated before I called them taquitos, but I made this concoction myself and it doesn't really have a name.

I was looking for a way to use up extra won-ton wrappers, which is where this recipe veers the furthest from being a taquita. I use simple ingredients.

Cook 1 lb. lean ground beef, drain.

add taco seasonings and water (follow package directions)

break clumps into smalll pieces.

split ground beef mix in half. Run 1/2 of beef mixture and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese through meat grinder, mix back in with remaining beef.

I work in batches at this point...

Scoop 1-1.5 Tbl of meat mixture on won-tons. Form to the shape of a little flute, leaving a little space on each end. Roll up and slightly moisten wrapper edge with water to seal.

Fry in shortening over medium high heat until golden brown.

I've never had a problem with frying these with the ends open, but you could also fry them in a shallow pan of oil, and turn them as they cook.

Hi Shelby

I hesitated before I called them taquitos, but I made this concoction myself and it doesn't really have a name.

I was looking for a way to use up extra won-ton wrappers, which is where this recipe veers the furthest from being a taquita. I use simple ingredients.

Cook 1 lb. lean ground beef, drain.

add taco seasonings and water (follow package directions)

break clumps into smalll pieces.

split ground beef mix in half. Run 1/2 of beef mixture and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese through meat grinder, mix back in with remaining beef.

I work in batches at this point...

Scoop 1-1.5 Tbl of meat mixture on won-tons. Form to the shape of a little flute, leaving a little space on each end. Roll up and slightly moisten wrapper edge with water to seal.

Fry in shortening over medium high heat until golden brown.

I've never had a problem with frying these with the ends open, but you could also fry them in a shallow pan of oil, and turn them as they cook.

Yum that sounds really good. I'm adding won ton wrappers to my grocery list! Thank you Nancy!!

I don't like football and I don't eat junkfood, but during an experiment to blend in, I sort of got into the concept of super bowl food.

I try to find something I would normally never buy and watch half time so that I know what everyone is talking about when they talk about the commercials.

Last time I went to the grocery store I bought a box of frozen mini hot dogs wrapped in dough of some sort. I am looking forward to that. I'm thinking it would be a good time to buy a jar of some of that onion dip stuff (I like Helluva Good brand but it's hard to find anymore, I'm open to recommendations) and a huge bag of Ruffles.

I admire the woman who dreamed up the guacamole football field with sour cream yard lines.

All of this being said, while I'm munching my pigs-in-the-blanket and eating glutaginous methylcellulose, I fully intend to enjoy every minute of the Giants' victory.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Part of me wants to be cute.. Do like a New England/New York thing.. I was thinking for New England to make a razor clam chowder and lobster rolls.. For New York, I was going to be lazy and just get order from Katz's, black and white cookies, and a couple of pies from my favorite place.. But, I think I am just going to go traditional..

I do blue cheese stuffed fried chicken wings.. Potato skins, chili bar, a few crostini, maybe fried oxtail pate sandwiches, and then have chips and stuff.. My cleaning lady is going to be making some empenadas, cecina gorditas,carnitas, guacamole, and some huitlacoche quesadillas..

Might have a cheese plate too..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Pretty simple.. I take the wing, make a slit, stuff blue cheese in, then deep fry.. You cover them with sauce when they come out, I actually use Original Anchor Bar out of convenience and preference.. No need to dip them into blue cheese dressing.. Still need it though for the celery and carrots.

Pretty simple.. I take the wing, make a slit, stuff blue cheese in, then deep fry.. You cover them with sauce when they come out, I actually use Original Anchor Bar out of convenience and preference..  No need to dip them into blue cheese dressing.. Still need it though for the celery and carrots.

OK, I admit it, I'm dumb. I don't understand how the cheese stays in the wing without creating a colossal mess in the deep fryer. Plus, I think I'd dip them in blue cheese dressing anyway, for the texture and temperature contrast, and because I'm a blue cheese fiend. :biggrin:

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Soak in buttermilk

gallery_15057_2395_56939.jpg

Stuff with blue cheese:

gallery_15057_2395_46134.jpg

Deep fry:

gallery_15057_2395_75621.jpg

Enjoy:

gallery_15057_2395_30155.jpg

Notice the melted blue cheese in the wings. They are awesome.. I waS expecting someone to ask about the breaded and fried oxtail terrine sandwich..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Notice the melted blue cheese in the wings. They are awesome..  I waS expecting someone to ask about the breaded and fried oxtail terrine sandwich..

Nah - it's Super Bowl - we care about the wings!

Beers - Brooklyn and Sam Adams, for obvious reasons.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?