• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian/Pakistani Food in South Jersey

ohmyganache

I'm really jonesing for some Indian or Pakistani food. I San Francisco, all the places were low-end, nothing fancy, but really really tasty. All the places I go to on the East Coast are more high-end... white table-clothes, sterno heated dishes, fancy dress for the waitstaff. I just want a greasy spoon type indian joint. Are there any in south Jersey or Philly???

Other than that, what are peoples favorite indian or pakistani in general?

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

There's always Rajbhog in Cherry Hill, in the Springdale shopping plaza. It has all the ambiance of a bus station, but the food is good. Service is sketchy at best, and the language barrier (and I'm not really certain they don't speak English as well as the next person) can lead to confusion on your bill at times. YMMV.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

There's always Rajbhog in Cherry Hill, in the Springdale shopping plaza.  It has all the ambiance of a bus station, but the food is good.  Service is sketchy at best, and the language barrier (and I'm not really certain they don't speak English as well as the next person) can lead to confusion on your bill at times.  YMMV.

Exactly right.

And they will make you a fresh dosa. Bring an appetite.

Subzi Mandi just off 295 exit 32 towards vorhees has a smaller chaat shop. It's attached to a large grocery.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Go to BHOJ in Elmwood Park.  It's the real deal and quite delicious

I was going to suggest this too, but figured it might be too far for the OP to travel. But it's just what he/she is looking for. Great food, nice place, yet casual and homey.

BTW, a new Indian restaurant opened in Elmwood Park on Rt. 46 called Talk of the Town. I went there for their lunch buffet once after they just opened and enjoyed there as well. The buffet was not as extensive as Bhoj's. but there was a good variety. It's also a bit more upscale than Bhoj, (and, admittedly, nicer decor) but still nice and casual. Food and servicewise though, Bhoj is still the champ!

Ganache, it may be worth the 90 minute or so ride when you have some free time to check out Bhoj. I'm sure if you tell Sonny, the owner, that you came all the way from South Jersey, he will treat you like royalty and give you a meal you won't forget (just like he treats everyone)!