• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding Cakes Across America

ohmyganache

Hey. Not sure if this is the most appropriate spot for this thread, but...

Has anyone ever heard of or used Wedding Cakes Across America to market wedding cakes to brides via David's Bridal? I spoke with a rep the other day, and the program sounds great, but it's pretty darn expensive, so I'd like to get some other opinions on it...

The idea is that David's Bridal uses your bakery as a preferred cake vendor. Nice, because lots of brides go to David's Bridal even though they may not get their dress there. Cost is between $250 and $300 per month, depending on the payment plan.

I'd like to start bringing in more wedding cakes! Help!

Thanks!!!

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

I've never heard of that program so I could not comment except the obvious that that's muy expensive. Over $3000 a year.

Another idea for you is to contact your local fellow wedding vendors. Target your market through them and vice versa. Contact florists, caterers, venues, churches, wedding coordinators and etc. Do a swap, where you'll provide thier names if they provide yours. List them on your web page. Eventually you'll distill a list of wedding buddies and get and stay booked up.

A nice little wedding cake cookie or a little mini cake, some kind of goodies couldn't hurt in the exchange with some business cards and brochures. Me I would avoid any kind of discounts though.

Solely from a marketing perspective, I would encourage the swapping of your sample binders. If you walk into a bridal shop, there is a lot of waiting, and time to flip through a book full of wedding cakes. That's a step above the cards and such.

"Preferred" cake vendor sounds tempting. How many more cakes would need to be sold to pay for the monthly fee alone? (factor in professional-level photography to keep the portfolio fresh and above the other preferred vendors :smile: ) Maybe it pays for itself, and more. Times like these you just hope they have trial bases...

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

I did a little reading up on the program, and personally, I don't think I would spend the money.

For one thing, it's national, and really your time and effort pays off much better when you network locally.

When I was neck deep in the business, I had portfolio books in local bridal shops, reception sites (which really, is where you get most of your business), local flower shops, hair salons, jewelry stores, caterers....etc. Everyone was really receptive to have my books and business cards on premise because I took their flyers and business cards and displayed them at MY shop. We all networked together and helped bring business to each other. I think that's FAR more effective than paying for a national program, not to mention some of the rules and restrictions you need to abide by to be in this program.

Read more here: David's Bridal Wedding Cakes Across America

One final thing that is very effective. Have a website. I can't tell you how many inquiries I get per day by just having a presence on the web. It also gives you "national" (even global) exposure at a much cheaper price. :wink:

I ask this:

How many extra cakes do you have to sell to pay for that monthly fee? And will it bring in that much extra business plus some more so you actually make something out of it?

I think the suggestions of making your own network locally sound like a better option.