• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help identifying a Vietnamese ingredient...

Hi, I remember this ingredient as a child but I've long forgotten it. It was in a place that specialized in serving Banh Cuon. They put out a small bowl of fish sauce just as in other typical Viet restaurants. Now the ingredient I'm trying to identify is a condiment that was on all the tables. It was a liquid in a small bottle with a dropper, and we would add some drops of it in our nuoc mam to help perfume it and lessen the "fishiness" of the nuoc mam. I THINK it's jasmine extract or something like it. Does anyone here know what I'm talking about?

I know what you are talking about but I don't remember what it's called. It has a very strong odor and most likely had a high alcohol content. Was it rose water?

No, it's not rose water, but it's real close to it. I am pretty sure it's some sort of extract and it does have alcohol in it...

Edited by phan1 (log)