• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rio and Salvador, Brazil

Will be heading to Brazil in March and would welcome any food-related suggestions for these two cities, from markets to street food to restaurants. The Rio threads seem somewhat outdated, so any new info would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

If I may piggyback on this post (it would be a bit repetitive to create a new thread for this), I am also going to be in Brazil in March, in Salvador as well, and additionally to Sao Paulo. I would love any restaurant recommendations anyone has for Sao Paulo, as well as Salvador, as the previous poster requested. Thank you!

in Sao Paulo try restaurant D.O.M. (domrestaurant.com.br) it has won just about every brazilian food award and was voted #38 restaurant in the world in 2007. chef Alex Atala is doing some really great food with the indigenous fruits and vegetables of the amazon and other regions of brazil.

Fantastic, thank you very much! We will definitely make a reservation there.

in Sao Paulo try restaurant D.O.M. (domrestaurant.com.br) it has won just about every brazilian food award and was voted #38 restaurant in the world in 2007. chef Alex Atala is doing some really great food with the indigenous fruits and vegetables of the amazon and other regions of brazil.

• 2 weeks later...

In Rio you really need go on this three restaurants:

Roberta Sudbrack

Chef Roberta Sudbrack

http://www.robertasudbrack.com.br/

End: Av. Lineu de Paula Machado, 916 - Jardim Botânico

Tel: (55)(21) 3874-0139

OLYMPE

Chef Claude Troisgros

Rua Custódio Serrão, nº 62, Jardim Botânico, Rio de janeiro, Brasil

Phone: (55)(21) 2539-4542

Le Pre Catelan ( Sofitel Hotel )

Chef Roland Villard

Av. Atlântica, 4240 - Copacabana

Rio de Janeiro - RJ

Tel: 55 (21) 2525-1232

Fax:55 (21) 2525-1200

http://www.accorhotels.com.br/guiahoteis/s....asp?cd_hotel=4

Roberta Sudbrack and Olympe stay both in Jardim Botanico.It is near from Leblon , around 15 m by car.

Sofitel Hotel is near too , you will take 10-15 m by car.

For a typical brazilliam food try Siri Mole.

Rua Francisco Otaviano, 50, Copacabana, (21) 2267-0894. www.sirimole.com.br

I live in Rio , so tou can ask anything to me...!

In SP you really need go in D.O.M. restaurant as Le peche sad.

You can also try

La Brasserie Erick Jaquin

http://www.brasserie.com.br/

55 11 3826 5409

Brasil a Gosto

http://www.brasilagosto.com.br/

Rio de Janeiro,Brasil.

Thank you so much for your post, which I see is your first, so welcome to egullet!

I read about Roberta Sudbrack recently myself so I'm putting it on the list. Am especially interested in good not-fancy food and street food in both Salvador and Rio. We're staying at the Caesar Park, but will hop in a cab to go anywhere. Many thanks for your help.

Daisy,

I also recomend Roberta Sudbrack, but I work there so am very biased.. :)

It is the best restaurant in Rio.

In Rio: If you are looking for not fancy food, I suggest Pavão Azul or Caranguejo. You can just have a beer and a nibble at either, or have a proper meal. Both have been around for ages, are what we call "pé sujo", but are also really highly rated.

There's a great place called Bira, but it's quite a trek. You can make a day of it though... It's like, an hour and a half away from ipanema, but you drive down the coast so can stop at all the beaches. It's a great day trip.

I'd also visit the street markets,- there's one everyday somewhere close to where you'll be. If you like, I can e-mail you a list of addresses.

An interesting place to visit is also the Feira de São Cristovão,- day or night.

In my opinion, Rio is good for either top of the line restaurants (Roberta Sudbrack) or the ... mmm... I want to say dirty-looking, but that may put you off..., well, the other extreme of "top of the line". The in-between restaurants aren't really good at all, always a let down.

In SP, to add to what has already been said, you should stop by the Mercado Municipal.

Have a fantastic trip and if you want anymore advice or any help even when you're in Rio, don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thank you so much for your post, which I see is your first, so welcome to egullet!

I read about Roberta Sudbrack recently myself so I'm putting it on the list.  Am especially interested in good not-fancy food and street food in both Salvador and Rio.  We're staying at the Caesar Park, but will hop in a cab to go anywhere.  Many thanks for your help.

Thanks Daisy17 !

I you want not-fancy food , i also recomend Bracarense , Jobi and Devassa.

You can go also to Porcão Rios to eat a lot of meat... Or go to a "boteco" and ask for a "picanha a Oswaldo Aranha".

You really should try the diferent juices from Bibi Sucos.

The Feira de São Cristovão is really a good place , but i not recomend you go alone there.

In Rio ask always for cooperative Taxi.

I recommend http://www.jbtaxi.com.br/.

Bye!

Rio de Janeiro,Brasil.

Aw, Ronaldo has good tips..: filé oswaldo Aranha, I'd say got to Hipódromo in Gávea, or Filé de Ouro in Jardim Botânico.

And Bracarense is great! Have the bolinho de bacalhau (codfish cakes) with your chope.

And JB Taxi IS the best for getting around. Very reliable.

Aw, Ronaldo has good tips..: filé oswaldo Aranha, I'd say got to Hipódromo in Gávea, or Filé de Ouro in Jardim Botânico.

And Bracarense is great! Have the bolinho de bacalhau (codfish cakes) with your chope.

And JB Taxi IS the best for getting around. Very reliable.

Thanks Paty!

Do you have msn or orkut ?

Edited by Ronaldoebt (log)

Rio de Janeiro,Brasil.

I'd also visit the street markets,- there's one everyday somewhere close to where you'll be. If you like, I can e-mail you a list of addresses.

Thanks again for all of your help. We're staying at Ipanema - is there a good street market near there?

Or go to a "boteco" and ask for a "picanha a Oswaldo Aranha".

This sounds great but what is it?!

Thanks,

Karen

More questions - are these restaurants good?

Carlota

Zaza Bistro

Bar d'Hotel

They were recommended by friends of a friend.

Also, do we need to make dinner reservations way in advance? We're going to Roberta Sudbrack on Sat night at 9:30. Do we need to reserve for Fri/Sun nights?

thanks so much for your help!

Karen

Hello Karen !

"Thanks again for all of your help. We're staying at Ipanema - is there a good street market near there?"

Yeah! You can go to Garcia D'Ávila is the best street market in Rio.But the most expensive too.

Picanha a Oswaldo Araranha is Rump cover with garlic roasted like a barbecue with rice , fry potato cutter well dead , farofa and sometime feijão ( black beans)

Carlota and Zaza Bistro are good , but there is nothing special in my opinion...Just go there if you have time.If you have to choose , go to Zaza , there are some new dishes from Checo Gonzales !

Bar d'Hotel i didn´t know very well !

"Also, do we need to make dinner reservations way in advance? We're going to Roberta Sudbrack on Sat night at 9:30. Do we need to reserve for Fri/Sun nights?"

Oh Yeah all the good restaurants in Rio stay very busy in Fri/Sun ! And some of them do not make reservation. I think Roberta do.

Which Hotel would you stay ?

;)

Edited by Ronaldoebt (log)

Rio de Janeiro,Brasil.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

here is a very late reply, but which I think will be useful to any foreigner planning a trip to Brazil and wanting reliable restaurant tips.

Annual restaurant edition of the excellent magazine IN, published in Santiago

another great article from the same magazine...

and

VEJA SAO PAULO, the best magazine for finding out addresses and telephone numbers for any restaurant in São Paulo. Even if you don't understand Portuguese, simply type in the name of the restaurant in the search box and a short review will appear with, at the bottom, all the info you need.

cheers,

Alexandra

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

this is my first post in the south america forum as I am about to travel to brazil for the first time.

I only have time for one great meal in Rio, and am highly considering visiting Roberta Sudbrack's.

the thing is I don't speak nore read portugese, and I can not find any infos in english.

.my only 3 options are monday may 5th, monday 12th (lunch), tuesday 13th lunch).

do you think booking a table for 1 on such short notice is possible ? is it even open on mondays?

.could someone give me an idea about the big menu price w/ wine ?

thank you very much

cheers

guillaume

Let Eat Be

Food, Wine & other Delights

ok

i took me a 10 min phonecall from france to someone who doesnt speak english nor french ( and i dont speak portugese nor spanish) to book a table for next tuesday.

but as they don't accept visa, i'd like to know how much cash I should bring.

Let Eat Be

Food, Wine & other Delights

ok

i took me a 10 min phonecall from france to someone who doesnt speak english nor french ( and i dont speak portugese nor spanish) to book a table for next tuesday.

but as they don't accept visa, i'd like to know how much cash I should bring.

Hi Daemon ! This is your Last Name ? Because i Have a Friend with de same Last name...

Roberta Sudbrack is the best without any doubts...

I think you will spend 180-240 reais for the menu plus the wine 80 ~ 1000 reais is up to you... !

You should try the e-mail to try a reservation info@robertasudbrack.com.br

Oh , The restaurant at his best is just at Night.At the luncj they just serve few entries...

Go at Night !!!

If you fail in making reservation, when you arrive in Rio ask for the hotel to do for you...

;)

Rio de Janeiro,Brasil.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Daemon,

I just saw your posts, so I don't know if you've been to Rio yet...

Roberta is open tuesday - saturday for dinner, and lunch only on thursday and fridays. Friday and Saturday nights are the best nights of the week (although they are also the busiest) because the prix fixe menu has more courses than during the week.

If you need any help, feel free to pm or e-mail me with questions.

I hope you have a great time!!

beijos,

Paty

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just discovered this thread. As there are so few about Brazil and as I live in Rio I would like to share my 2cents for future visitors.

I agree almost completely with the posts above from fellows cariocas, but will add another input for help (or confusion, I don't know):

- High cuisine: Sudbrack and Olympe. I think they are both on a level of their own in the city and above Pre Catalan.

- Mid-level nice restaurants:

Carlota seems to me the most reliable. It is not too daring, just one touch or another, but everything tastes quite good. Deserts quite nice as well with local touches like Guava with cheese ice cream.

Zaza tends to experiment more with mixed results to my taste.

Bar D'Hotel is good food, but mostly a place to see people in a nice environment. I would not call it a food destination.

Zuka is a good option and Sushi Leblon as well. Try the sashimi variations with slices of Foie Gras on top. Quite good.

- Local: I agree that the simple is sometimes the best.

Filé de Ouro is probably the nicest beef in local variations. Another a La Carte meat place is called Majorica. Besides that you have the "rodizios" places where Porcão tends to have the best meat. Try farofa.

Bira is really good for local food with wonderful sight seeing on the way and there. You'll eat with small monkeys (of the Cebus genus type, Google says) around you. Siri Mole is very good for sea food in Bahia style (African influenced).

- I would add Antiquarius for one of the best Portuguese food outside Portugal...I guess. This is on the more expensive side, though.

Finally, pizza (everyone eats them at some point), there is Capriciosa, which to me has the best ingredients.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

Marcos

Edited by mbernstein (log)

Just trying to eat some good food and learn in the process with all the well versed foodies here. Please don't hold me too accountable for my so personal opinions! :)

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

this is for anyone planning a trip to Rio or SP and is researching restaurants. My list of tips:

1- For those who have trouble booking a table due to language barriers, the best thing to do is either call or email the concierge of the hotel where you'll be staying and ask them to do it for you. Any 5 star hotel offers this service, as do many 4 star hotels. Another good tip is to use the concierge service of your credit card (Visa Signature, Amex centurion, etc) - premium cards offer premium services, so make good use of them! BTWY, reservations are essencial at Roberta Sudbrack and D.O.M. and any other high-end restaurant. Do keep in mind, however, that Brazilians dine late, so if you show up at 8 without a reservation you might get a table. The big rush usually starts at 9.

2- For reviews in English of Roberta Sudbrack and other restaurants in São Paulo and Rio, with photos, you may want to check out the site Brazil for Insiders

3- For those looking for good recommendations of very casual places in Rio, the secret password is boteco (bow-tekk-ow), which means small bar. Rio is famous for its wonderful botecos, which are very simple bars, usually with rickety tables set up on the sidewalk, where you can have an excellent meal for under 10 dollars. things to try include caldinho de feijão (black bean soup), bolinho de bacalhau (cod croquettes), empadinha de palmito (crumbly, buttery pastry filled with seasoned heart of palm and baked) and pastel (samosa-like deep-fried pastry with fillings that come in a few standard flavours, cheese, meat or shrimp). Rio's most famous boteco is the Bracarense, in the Leblon district, adjacent to Ipanema.

hope this helps!

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

In Salvador:

In most cities I try to avoid the tourist-oriented restaurants, but if you visit Pelourinho I can recommend the Feijoada served at the restaurant on the main square.

In Rio: Street Food

I remember the carts selling great Kibbeh.

• 6 months later...