• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is oshinko?

BarbaraY

Another new place opened recently and I have their menu. One of the appetizers listed is oshiko. I've never heard of this and when I googled it, most of what I found were menus that referred to oshiko appetizer.

I did find one that mentioned a pregnancy test.

I hope it was typed as Oshinko on the menu and is just a typo here. (I did make a change in the thread title though)

As Jason said without the n it becomes the word for pee....

お新香 Oshinko literally means "new fragrance" and can basically refer to any Japanese pickled product, though in many places in the US it is synonymous with takuan, the yellow pickled daikon.

Apparently the term "new fragrance" came about as pickles were no longer made only to preserve fresh foods, but to cultivate a special flavor, texture, and aroma.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Guess that's why I couldn't find it because it's definitely oshiko on this particular menu and on several others.

Glad we got that cleared up.:biggrin:

Just for the record this is another mainly Chinese restaurant but with a sushi bar. Rather common in this part of the country.

Was a bit startled when I noticed the name of this forum topic! I'm more used to hearing "oshiko!" when my daughter announces she is ready to visit the bathroom.

I briefly had visions of some avant garde restaurant really trying to push the limits with their menu but a typo does seem the more likely explanation :-)