• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mold Release Spray

gfron1

I looked in my PCB catalogue because I know they sell it, but there was no info on exactly what it was.......but I do suspect it's some sort of fat based type thing like PAM.

For what it's worth, I've never had trouble getting mousses out of molds anyway. A quick dip in warm water and it pops right out. I've never seen the reason to spend money on something that I think is basically unnecessary. Even if it does make mold releasing easier, I still wouldn't want to depend on something that really isn't that easy to find. That is, if it really is something other than PAM.

I usually use a little pam spray in the silicone molds, especially the smaller type for mini pastries so they come out clean and easy.

I bought the structure sheets for mousse cakes from one of my vendors and tried using them. It was a nightmare, the mousse stuck to it and I had to wash it to get it clean. I went onto the PCB website and they sell the mold release spray for this kind of application, I guess maybe you do need it. I will try food release spray before I buy the stuff from PCB.

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

:/ Okay. I've obviously never felt like I needed it before, and I can't imagine needing it with a silicone mold. But what about one of THESE? Here is a dessert from a while back that I had the dickens of a time getting it to release. I did the hot water dip and that wasn't enough. I couldn't push it out like I would silicone because the material is too stiff. It seemed like suction became the problem. You can see how I had to re-dip a bit longer which melted the dessert some.

gallery_41282_4652_107673.jpg

I bought the structure sheets for mousse cakes from one of my vendors and tried using them. It was a nightmare, the mousse stuck to it and I had to wash it to get it clean.

I have those too Bri. I looked at my PCB catalog for instructions and all it says is to "snatch" the structure sheet away quickly. I had the same results as you. Because you can't really dip a full sheet pan covered with a structure sheet in water, what I did was dip a clean towel in very hot water and quickly wiped over the top of the sheet with the towel. The warmth of it was just enough for me to get a clean release.

If you do try the regular release spray and it works, repost here and let us know! Or, if I get to it before you do, I will post also. :smile:

Rob, I see what you mean.....you lose definition in the mold pattern if you have to partially melt the dessert to get it out.......

I guess what we don't know is if that mold release spray actually helps, and/or is different than a regular release spray such as PAM.

Is there a mold release spray such as the one that PCB offers that you can get in the states? I don't think you can order it from PCB directly, because aerosol cans can't be shipped by air.

Edited by chefpeon (log)

Thanks everyone. The question is then - is there a difference between mold release spray and Pam in terms of release ability?

Google gave me all sorts of industrial uses, and one site selling "food grade" listed this for the ingredients: Pure Dimethyl Silicone Fluid, Does not contain Chlorinated Solvents," and it said it was FDA approved. Yeeks - big words are scary! This ain't no Pam!

it makes it a snap even for frozen entremet, a quick run under hot water and perfect release every time.

So are you saying that even when you use the mold release, that you still need the hot water treatment too?

Does your can of mold release spray have an ingredients list on it? Is it fat based, like PAM?

When I used my structure sheet, the warm towel trick worked even without the release spray.

I'll give it a try..... Chefpeon, give me a mousse recipe you used....

Was it a more fluid type or light and fluffy?

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Chefpeon, give me a mousse recipe you used....

Was it a more fluid type or light and fluffy?

It was sort of halfway between fluid and fluffy.

I used a white chocolate mousse recipe:

Melt white chocolate

Heat pastry cream and gelatin together

Whip cream to soft peak

Add pastry cream/gelatin to chocolate, stir thoroughly

Add some cream to the chocolate mixture to lighten

Then incorporate that all back into the whipped cream and

fold to combine.

Put structure sheet on sheet pan with extender collar

Pour mousse into structure sheet

Rap pan on table to get rid of any air bubbles

Top with rainbow cake sheets I made, then freeze til set.

Remove from freezer, put another sheet pan on top, then flip the whole thing over.

The structure sheet side is now on top.

The first one I did the "grab and snatch" as per PCB's instructions. Worked ok, but could've been

better. On the second one I had towels ready in a bucket of hot water. I took the towels out, wrung them out and wiped over the top of the sheet quickly. Then I quickly removed the structure sheet. Worked great! :smile: