• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-food movies with one great food scene

rlibkind

Now that I don't have a screaming toddler to deal with, here are a few more.

Kill Bill during the scene where she first meets Hatori Hanzo in his restaurant.

ET when he gets drunk

The "dinner" at the end of Hannibal

"How do you get so big eating food of this kind??" - Yoda

The dinner scene in Munich.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

How can you not fall in love with a young Catherine Deneuve singing while baking a "cake d'amour"? This is from Peau d'Ane, a musical by the French director Jacques Demy (score by Michel Legrand), who directed Deneuve in several other movies early in her career. In the story, she is forced to escape from her father, the King (played by Jean Marais), who wants to marry her after the Queen dies. She uses a donkey skin as a disguise.

In this scene, she bakes a cake intended to cure a Prince who has fallen ill. She can be seen both as the Princess and as Donkey Skin during the song. Notice how she places her ring in the cake... It's all going to end with a beautiful wedding of course!

The movie has a lot of tongue-in-cheek humor, so it's more interesting than a typical fairy tale.

I am convinced that this scene must have contributed to my love of baking since a young age!

(And no, she does not weigh her ingredients, and all of her measurements are very approximative - a hand of this, a drop of that, etc)

The British cult film "Withnail & I" has a great scene where they're trying to roast a chicken. It starts with Withnail contemplating the live chicken - "how do we make it die?" - and ends with them placing the deceased and plucked chicken in the oven, perched upright on top of the kettle.

From the same film I've also heard more than one person quote the infamous line "We want the finest wines available to humanity. And we want them here, and we want them now!" - which isn't exactly cooking, but it's the sort of thing you hear in a kitchen...

• 5 months later...