• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-food movies with one great food scene

rlibkind

I just downloaded the movie Tampopo because I am curious about what all the hype was all about. I watched the whole thing, fascinated at every scene. (Did you know that a young Ken Watanabe has a minor role in the movie?) The ramen instruction scene at the beginning had me so transfixed that today, I made ramen broth and noodles for the first time. It was wonderful. :wub:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Godfather Part 1 - at the restaurant (Louie's) in the Bronx, Michael having dinner with Solozzo and McCluskey...Sollozzo tells McCluskey to "try the veal, it's the best in the city," about two minutes before Michael comes out of the bathroom and blows both of them away.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 years later...

Puerco Pibil. The favorite dish of the character Johnny Depp plays in Once Upon a Time in Mexico. In the first half hour of the movie, he orders the dish three times. He always invites the other person at his table to try his delicious Pibil. Then he gets up, walks off and shoots the cook, in order to maintain 'balance'. No, don't ask me.

The director, Roberto Rodriguez co-produced the movie, directed it, composed the music, and put his recipe for Puerco Pibil onlin where I found it. And I've cooked it three or four times now and just love it.

Johnny Depp is an interesting actor and Salma Hayek is incredibly beautiful. Plus it starred Antonio Banderas, Willem Dafoe, etc. So finally I borrowed the movie through the library and I have just watched I guess about half an hour of it and couldn't take any more.

End of story, I guess.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The Matrix, in the scene where Cypher (Joe Pantoliano) is discussing the terms of his 'defection' with Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving).

I want that steak!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Fried Green Tomatoes: The food fight in the kitchen of the Whistle Stop Cafe.

And don't ever forget: The secret's in the sauce.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Godfather Part 1 - at the restaurant (Louie's) in the Bronx, Michael having dinner with Solozzo and McCluskey...Sollozzo tells McCluskey to "try the veal, it's the best in the city," about two minutes before Michael comes out of the bathroom and blows both of them away.

I still use Clemenza's tomato sauce recipe:

"Heh, come over here, kid, learn something. You never know, you might have to cook for 20 guys someday. You see, you start out with a little bit of oil. Then you fry some garlic. Then you throw in some tomatoes, tomato paste, you fry it; ya make sure it doesn't stick. You get it to a boil; you shove in all your sausage and your meatballs; heh…? And a little bit o' wine. An' a little bit o' sugar, and that's my trick."

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

John Belushi, disheveled, half-drunk and in need of a shave; "Food Fight"!

'National Lampoon's Animal House' classic stuff

It's the first thing that came to my mind (and it didn't take too long to arrive).

Maybe I would have more friends if I didn't eat so much garlic?

It's already been mentioned, but I have to go with Good Fellas.

"Did you put onions in the sauce?"

"Yeah. I put onions in the sauce."

"He always puts too many onions in the sauce."

"It's still good sauce, though."

That scene in prison and the scene at Tommy's mother's house where they went to borrow a shovel in the middle of the night and she insists on making them a meal.

Edited by annabelle (log)

I don't know if it counts, since food is mentioned in the title and is a central metaphor, but the movie isn't really exactly a food movie either -- Eat Drink Man Woman (by Ang Lee). Some incredible food scenes, including some amazing long tracking shots of a truly enormous (and bustling) hotel kitchen, as well as some great home cooking sequences.

It's really worth renting or watching in its entirety if you haven't already (it's currently on Netflix's On Demand service for those who have it), but for those who are too lazy, I'll link to the opening sequence:

Edited by Will (log)

I don't know if it counts, since food is mentioned in the title and is a central metaphor, but the movie isn't really exactly a food movie either -- Eat Drink Man Woman (by Ang Lee). Some incredible food scenes, including some amazing long tracking shots of a truly enormous (and bustling) hotel kitchen, as well as some great home cooking sequences.

It's really worth renting or watching in its entirety if you haven't already (it's currently on Netflix's On Demand service for those who have it), but for those who are too lazy, I'll link to the opening sequence:

Amazing sequence. As one of the appended comments said...I too was mesmerized watching the sequence. Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The attempts at Kosher cooking with a hostage in The Big Hit, the last supper in Life of Brian (along with "blessed are the cheesemakers"), and of course, both the exploding gourmand at the restaurant in The Meaning of Life and also the dinner party that death crashes.

On that note, although it's not strictly a movie perse, the Milliway's scenes in the old BBC Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in which Arthur meets his meat is truly priceless as well, as are those where he and Ford are eating this awful blue and green Vogon food just after having been picked up.

Also, Hudson Hawk, for the Italian diner scene just after he's robbed the Vatican.

edit-spelling

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

The repel cuisine scene in Betty Blue / 37.2 Le Matin. Zorg & Betty are waiting tables in Eddy's pizza joint: troublesome customers lead to the construction of a 'special', assembled mostly from the trashcan. A special which proves a remarkable hit:

Then Betty stabs one of them in the arm with a fork. Of course.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

The Bicycle Thief the cafe scene where the father takes his son for lunch and they are eating a slice of pizza and drinking wine in tumblers while the families at the other tables are eating luxurious foods and giving them dirty looks.

It's an ancient film (1944) but I am sort of addicted to TCM so a few days ago recorded and watched "The Canterville Ghost" which has some very funny scenes.

The platoon of GIs, (Rangers) billeted in the castle, are invited to tea by the owner, 6-year-old Margaret O'Brien.

The difficulties the GIs had with handling a teacup and saucer in one hand, a plate with cake in the other and attempting to eat and drink had me giggling and eventually holding my sides with laughter.

There is a more recent film that has some funny kitchen scenes (also a vegetable garden scene) that I enjoyed:

"It's Complicated" However, the best food-related scene is when Jane (Meryl Streep) takes Adam (Steve Martin) to her bakery and prepares chocolate croissants.....

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

"Anne of Green Gables" (the one with Megan Follows), in which Diana drinks all the raspberry cordial, which turned out to be blackberry wine, and gets drunk.

Also the part where Anne finds a drowned mouse in the pitcher of custard. Marilla is serving it to guests when Anne comes running in screaming, "There was a mouse drowned in it!"

Tee hee!

The French Connection. The scene where they cut between the bad guys eating a grotesquely opulent old school French lunch, while Popeye Doyle stands across the street freezing his ass off, eating bad pizza and drinking cold coffee from a Styrofoam cup.

This link has some background on the actual restaurant and, at the bottom, the sceneitself. Aside from the food, it's a brilliant 2:26 portrait of the two-faced bitch that was Manhattan in the 1970s.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.