• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nutrition

hi all, new to this forum....

i am wondering whether anybody has come across restaurants in Oz that add any nutritional information to their menus (no including the maccas etc).

If so, what are they saying ?

cheers

phil :rolleyes:

Welcome Phil. I've certainly never seen any real restaurant with even a hint of nutritional info on a menu. (Not something I long for either, but that's a separate discussion.)

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

hi all, new to this forum....

i am wondering whether anybody has come across restaurants in Oz that add any nutritional information to their menus (no including the maccas etc).

If so, what are they saying ?

cheers

phil :rolleyes:

Last thing I need when dining out. I think you have to educate yourself before you go.

Edited by Pat Churchill (log)

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

I think it's impossible for restaurants beyond the realm of fast food to have nutritional information. Nutrition facts only work when applied to set portions of set ingredients. Thus, considering that fine dining restaurants change their menus frequently, there is no possible way they could rewrite their information for each new dish. Moreover, calories should be the last thing to worry about when eating at an upscale, or any other decent restaurant. You don't go there often, so why worry. Plus, I'm pretty sure that their food would be terrifying to look at from a nutritional standpoint. Sometimes it's best not to know.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali