• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aging potatoes?

Jcolvin

I've taken to deliberately aging potatoes in the refrigerator for a few months. All the information on the 'net says "don't do this..the potato will end up unpleasantly sweet".

Au contraire, it seems to me that a couple months refrigerator aging converts a boring, dry, starchy spud into a delectably sweet, texturally firm potato (almost reminiscent of a new potato). Perhaps too sweet for french fries, but fantastic boiled/steamed and served with butter & parsley. Anybody else age their potatoes this way? Or is this just my sweet tooth leading me astray?

Jonathan Colvin

Vancouver

In northern climates (like here in Sweden), this is the way potatoes are in the winter months and during the spring. Harvested in autum, kept in cold storage during the winter.

I haven't noticed any particular effects of the aging though.