• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kozhi Nilgiri Recipe

junehl

Hi all, I'm just came home from an Indian restaurant and I had ordered the Kozhi Nigiri (I did a google search on it, and think the menu might have a misprint and it should be Kozhi Nilgiri instead).

I tasted the Kozhi Nilgiri and it was sooooooooooooooooooo good. I have been in heaven and besotted with the flavor, the freshness, the lingering enchantment of the sauce.

I tried to google the recipe, but I can't find any recipe for Kozhi Nilgiri....I've seen Nilgiri this and Nilgiri that, but no Kozhi Nilgiri, so I don't know which is the right recipe.

Here is the description from the Menu

"Kozhi Nigiri - Tenders of chicken sauteed with green onion, spices, and herbs, cooked in a Nilgiri sauce. From the hills of Blue Mountain".

Does anyone have a recipe for this luscious Kozhi Nilgiri dish? Can someone direct me in the right direction?

Hi all, I'm just came home from an Indian restaurant and I had ordered the Kozhi Nigiri (I did a google search on it, and think the menu might have a misprint and it should be Kozhi Nilgiri instead).

I tasted the Kozhi Nilgiri and it was sooooooooooooooooooo good.  I have been in heaven and besotted with the flavor, the freshness, the lingering enchantment of the sauce.

I tried to google the recipe, but I can't find any recipe for Kozhi Nilgiri....I've seen Nilgiri this and Nilgiri that, but no Kozhi Nilgiri, so I don't know which is the right recipe.

Here is the description from the Menu

"Kozhi Nigiri - Tenders of chicken sauteed with green onion, spices, and herbs, cooked in a Nilgiri sauce.  From the hills of Blue Mountain".

Does anyone have a recipe for this luscious Kozhi Nilgiri dish?  Can someone direct me in the right direction?

As you have probably worked out, this is most likely a made up dish, kozhi meaning chicken and the Nilgiri hills are between Karnataka and Kerala. An 'onion, spice and herb' sauce can probably describe most 'chicken curries', so no secrets given away there. Its probably someones way of recalling a holiday in those 'Blue remembered hills' (with acknowledgement to Dennis Potter).

cheers

Waaza

Hi June,

That Chicken you ate was a recipe created by the chef, as there is no standard recipe like that, and indeed, few standardized recipes for any dishes but those developed exclusively within the restaurant or banquet trade. And not even then.

Howevr, not to leave you toally empty-handed, please do try a couple of the dishes in the videos below and see how they taste to you. Then you may begin to modify them with green onions, etc, dry them out/less gravy, add coconut milk, according to your taste.

If you have problems understanding anything anything, including procedures and accesnt, please let me know.

One note here: I would suggest grinding the sauteed onions in a blender or food processor using some tomato puree or canned crushed tomato, both unflavored, as the liquid to help the blades comminute the onions. Also, please dice the onions small, it will help the process. You can use any packaged chicken masala, not necessarily the brand in question, which is very good. You could use a whole fresh-killed chicken, cut up, or guinea fowl, both skinned, or chicken thighs and drums, or 2 Cornish hens.

Be careful about the number and types of bay leaves added. Indian "bay leaves" are "cassia" leaves, Cinnamonum cassia/obtusifolia/tamala. Turkish bay leaves are completely different in flavor and extremely strong; 1 may be enough to overpower 500 grams of chicken.

Kochukaru, the Korean red pepper powder, is a good element for Indian dishes. It adds color, flavor without exaggerated heat. You be the judge. Use cayenne or other hot red pepper powders if you want heat.

Make sure the oil is not too hot, to burn the black mustard seed. They should turn grey, swim around and begin to splutter. You may keep a splatter screen handy, but not necessary. Immediately add cumin seed, wait for aroma to release in hot oil, add very thinly sliced onions, along north-south axis, sometimes even better than chopped onions [with respect to even browing].

• 1 month later...

What is the name & location of the restaurant where you enjoyed the Chicken Nilgiri? Perhaps we could write and ask for the recipe. Some chefs are very generous, especially when it means wider publicity. Some magazines like Gourmet also offer their readers a service by helping them find favorite recipes from restaurant chefs.