• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish/Seafood Stores in Vancouver?

Besides Granville Island, Lonsdale Quay and the Village Fish Market in West Van, does anybody know of any good stores closer to east van that have good fish and seafood? I would love to be able to pick up some nice halibut or black cod (for example) once in awhile without having to drive so far and deal with parking.

Thank you!

Megan

Besides Granville Island, Lonsdale Quay and the Village Fish Market in West Van, does anybody know of any good stores closer to east van that have good fish and seafood?  I would love to be able to pick up some nice halibut or black cod (for example) once in awhile without having to drive so far and deal with parking.

Thank you!

Megan

Actually a little farther than GIsle but less access/parking hassle (there are even a couple of spots behind it): Seven Seas on Fourth Avenue between Vine and Yew. Good prices, knowledgable staff, nice selection and they have their own processing plant. I've also heard good things about Angel Seafood near 1st and Clarke but will leave that to others to comment on...

A few others to add to the mix:

Finest at Sea (but even more West)

Crystal Mall has 2 seafood shops that have a large selection of frozen, and some fresh. I don't know their names - but they are in the marketplace area.

Angel is also excellent for frozen. Only occasionally (like around new year) will they have fresh available to the general public.

A few others to add to the mix:

Finest at Sea (but even more West)

Crystal Mall has 2 seafood shops that have a large selection of frozen, and some fresh.  I don't know their names - but they are in the marketplace area.

Angel is also excellent for frozen.  Only occasionally (like around new year) will they have fresh available to the general public.

Nice call on Finest at Sea. Because I'm so close to Seven Seas, I tend to go there, but the parental units who live in Kerrisdale swear by FAS. It has lots of free parking right out front too.

The one time I went to Angel I noticed that it was largely frozen stock...

Forgive my ignorance, but what (and where) is Crystal Mall?

Flash frozen at sea, and carefully defrosted fish can be much fresher tasting than 'fresh' that's been transported and held for a time. I'm a big fan of Iron Maiden's salmon (that's the boat, not the band :biggrin: )

Iron Maiden seafoods delivers (see website for schedule), or you can catch them at the Vancouver farmers markets.

http://www.wildseafoods.com/index.html

It's worth checking out Rupert Fish Market at 3202 22ND AVE E (Rupert and Windermere).  They have a pretty good selection of fresh and frozen. Nice large frozen squids.

Hmmmm

I'm pretty sure that this is the same place that was shut down on health concerns for a time too. About 2 years ago. If I'm remembering a different place my whole hearted apologies. Regardless though any reasonable person should boycot his store.

Thank you everybody for your responses!

I did go to the Rupert Fish market once a couple years ago and it smelled REALLY fishy, i never did go back, maybe it is better now? I think I have been spoiled by the Village Fish Market in West Van, it is the best fish store in the city in my books!

I will start trying some of the recommendations and report back!