• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Let's Kill "Foodie"

I think I don't like the term "foodie" because most of the people I know who describe themselves as such actually know very little about food (people who say things like, "oh my god, I am such a foodie").

Ugh, exactly. Or, "So, I hear you're quite the foodie?" Ick.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

grubster

ingestronator

caloreaper

gastronob

cake-holer

gobblin

groceratrix

SNORT! Those are funny

I get a kick out of the people who claim to be "foodies" which actually means "I love to EAT food."

I call myself a 'chef wannabe' but I couldn't possibly label anyone else that way.

Please:  TrekkER.  Not that I am personally invested, but some of my best friends & c.

Hmmm:  Fooder?

Don't yell or throw fruit, but I cooked dinner for Cap'n Kirk once. And by derivation, would a Groupie then be a Grouper? Yum.

And we will still give all consideration, grandfathering and special dispensation to Little Miss---we love her.

Besides, in a word association test, 99 out of a hundred would follow "gastro" with "intestinal."

groceratrix :laugh:

I vote for "food geek." It conveys the level of obsessive interest but without the elitism, and doesn't make any boastful claims about ability in the kitchen. Besides, it's the only one I can imagine actually using to describe myself to a new acquaintance.

I have no problems with "foodie." It's unpretentious and has no meaning to me beyond a strong interest in food. I never use the word, however, in writing or conversation.

However, I sense that "foodie" has become a term of condescension in certain circles, including food professionals. That's too bad.

I would want the hide of anyone who called me a "food geek."

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I asked my husband at lunch today if he thought we were "foodies" he looked at me over his bifocals ..laughed..and then continued eating ..it is a cute word for cute people who love to eat lovely food ..that is what I think when I hear it... ...we are not either one of us "cute" people that like to eat ..we are average people middle aged who adore finding, preparing and eating fantastic food we also love going out to eat all over the place and will try anything at least three times!..we are going to be "food elders" in a few years... maybe?

I say keep the word ..and cute people too!!! we all need a place

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Besides, in a word association test, 99 out of a hundred would follow "gastro" with "intestinal."

groceratrix :laugh:

I keep thinking gastropod! That said, I think foodie is a pretty generic summation of "one who likes everything about food". Anyone can take a term and twist it. Usually I am referred to as a pretty good cook, and that works for me, but I also love the markets, customs, etc.

gallery_10547_1214_8106.jpg

gallery_10547_1214_12414.jpg

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'm a gourmande, I suppose, but self-identifying as one sounds pompous and makes the uninitiated goggle and ask "What's that?" I explain, and they say "Oh! you're a foodie."

The English language is a liberal, open table kind of place. There are many, many more locutions I despise more than foodie: in fact, the first time I heard someone say prioritize the world wobbled. I give you incentivate, folks!

The world at large understands foodie -- someone with a serious interest in food. Just as groupie could be more accurately defined as a girl who'll drop her drawers for the drummer, the word groupie implies that. Like Chris, I just tell people I'm interested in food, but if foodie is handy shorthand for them, eh ... it's not world peace.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I don't care much for the word, but it got me out of a tremendous bind recently when I was composing the following limerick:

A puppet named Howdy Doody

Was cross and increasingly moody

He looked for a sign

Saw eGullet on line

And now is a devoted foodie

Before I thought of that word, I was trying to figure out how to work booty into the composition.

When I'm introducing myself to someone who isn't yet aware of my obsession, I usually just say, "I'm really into food".

I'd rather be known as a good cook than a gourmand, or whatever.

I do this, too.

I don't really mind foodie, but I hate food enthusiast. I'd rather be an -ie than an

-ist, I guess :biggrin: ! Besides, it reminds me of this odd, emaciated looking guy who shops at the store and calls himself a raw foodist <shiver>.

Kim

I don't care much for the word, but it got me out of a tremendous bind recently when I was composing the following limerick:

A puppet named Howdy Doody

Was cross and increasingly moody

He looked for a sign

Saw eGullet on line

And now is a devoted foodie

Before I thought of that word, I was trying to figure out how to work booty into the composition.

funny!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

... it's not world peace.

it's not even whirled peas!

It's just another brick in the wall of the dumbing-down of everything. I, like you, cringe at least once daily in my corporate hell. My boss sent out a meeting invitation last week to get together and "proceduralize" something. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. :unsure:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

A 'foodie' sounds like someone who loves food, though lacks the sophistication in making respected culinary decisions such as would a 'gourmet'. A 'gourmand' has the education (more so from life), though wouldn't necessarily shun cheeseburgers and beer from the local dive. I prefer the term 'foodist', though it could denote either someone who researches the more scientific side of the culinary world (which I've been known to do), or simply someone who would strip completely naked for a really good sauce (which I may also have been known to do... shhhhh). Foodist all the way! :blush:

Julesy (Gypsy Foodist)

www.biscuitsbrioche.com

"It's So Beautifully Arranged On The Plate - You Know Someone's Fingers Have Been All Over It" – Julia Child

When I'm introducing myself to someone who isn't yet aware of my obsession, I usually just say, "I'm really into food".

I'd rather be known as a good cook than a gourmand, or whatever.

I do this, too.

I don't really mind foodie, but I hate food enthusiast. I'd rather be an -ie than an

-ist, I guess :biggrin: ! Besides, it reminds me of this odd, emaciated looking guy who shops at the store and calls himself a raw foodist <shiver>.

Kim

Me three. I've been called much worse things than "foodie." Much. :laugh:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Somewhere there is a previous eGullet discussion about all these food-lover descriptives but, alas, I can't find it.

Someone there suggested "gastronaut". :wink:

And before we toss "Foodie" into the river, can we also tie a cement block to "Sammie" while we're at it? :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver