• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starbucks tests $1 cup of coffee

Toliver

The article from the Wall Street Journal:

The Seattle coffee giant is experimenting with selling the $1 "short" brew in its hometown area, spokeswoman Valerie O'Neil confirmed.

The 8-ounce short size isn't on Starbucks' menu but has long been ordered by in-the-know patrons. Typically, a short brewed coffee would sell for about $1.50, although that can vary by several cents depending on the store.

Starbucks is also testing the offer of free refills for traditional brewed coffee in the Seattle area.

This move is to counter market incursions by McDonald's, etc, as well as the recent downturn in the U.S. economy.

Has anyone been "in-the-know" and been ordering the short size all along?

Will the smaller, cheaper cup of coffee (with possible refills) keep Starbucks in your coffee routine?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The article from the Wall Street Journal:

The Seattle coffee giant is experimenting with selling the $1 "short" brew in its hometown area, spokeswoman Valerie O'Neil confirmed.

The 8-ounce short size isn't on Starbucks' menu but has long been ordered by in-the-know patrons. Typically, a short brewed coffee would sell for about $1.50, although that can vary by several cents depending on the store.

Starbucks is also testing the offer of free refills for traditional brewed coffee in the Seattle area.

This move is to counter market incursions by McDonald's, etc, as well as the recent downturn in the U.S. economy.

Has anyone been "in-the-know" and been ordering the short size all along?

Will the smaller, cheaper cup of coffee (with possible refills) keep Starbucks in your coffee routine?

It may. The only issue being is that the coffee, basicly, sucks

The coffee doesn't suck, it just has a bitter and burned taste to it. I don't like that, but others seem to. It's subjective, as are all matters of taste.

I personally prefer the coffee at Dunkin Donuts, or Wawa locally. Or La Colombe when I'm near there. Fortunately, we serve La Colombe where I work, so I get it when I'm there. I'd really rather give my money to independent coffee shops provided they have a good product. There are several that I frequent here in Philly whose product I like far better than Starbuck's. Besides, Starbuck's is an evil empire much like Walmart. I don't like to give them my money to put those small independent shops out of business.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I don't understand why the coffees I buy at Starbucks have that bitter, burnt taste, but I can buy a sack of ground coffee from them, take it home and brew it, and it comes out perfect.

Are they just letting their brewed coffee sit on a burner all day?

I stopped going when I ordered an espresso drink and the girl poured my "shot" of espresso from a pitcher that had apparently been filled beforehand with many batches of espresso. That's gross; I want crema!

But hey, if i needed a cup and could get a small one on my way to class for a buck, I'd buy it.