• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

anyone see A Good Year?

zoe b

I'm embarassed to admit we watched it the other night--it's playing on HBO 12 times a day--and it was nasty outside so it was in one way a perfect movie to watch--it was like the curate's egg--good in parts.

Albert Finney was in it, and Marion Cotillard (Piaf) so that's good--Russell Crowe, not good.

Afterwards I googled it and the book was written by Peter Mayles--NOT my favorite writer.

Crowe plays a money guy who inherits his uncle's house and vineyard in France--there are flashbacks of happy childhood holidays spent there.

The house and countryside and village are gorgeous--that's what kept me watching--it's worth it jfor that.

There's a sub plot about some fabulous unknown wine that i never really understood--am guessing it got chopped up during the movie making process.

And there's a really mean scene in the restaurant where Cotillard either works or owns--Crowe steps in to help out on a busy night and an American couple is shown being ugly and dumb--trying to order Caesar salad with ranch dressing on the side--now i have cringed at horrible Americans abroad just as much as the next person--but I've also seen horrible Italians, French, Germans, Japanese, Russians--put any nationality here, please--in any order.

So, I was puzzled by this scene, as well as irritated--the audience is presumably American, so why put that in? So that the American audience could feel superior to those clucks? Bad faith!

Zoe

I read the book first on a recommendation from a client, and liked it, and was excited to see the movie. I feel that they cut a lot of the book out, especially the more intriguing parts. The movie disappointed me, but my BF loved the movie, even after reading the book.

I saw the movie last year and I don't have anything particularly good or bad to say about it. An nremarkable film if you ask me, and not worthy of the best food movie list.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I saw the movie and thought it was okay. It was a Netflix, so I wasn't out much money. I loved the scenery. Just beautiful and unknown to me, so that was nice.

I have read several Peter Mayles books and liked them. They are light reads. After watching the movie, I have not read the book it was based on. I know I would then fully realize how much better the movie could have been.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton