• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef 4 contestants announced

alwang

Am I reading correctly that Richard Blais is one of the contestants?  That's got to be the most high-profile chef they've ever had compete.

I thought that too when I saw the release, so I googled the 'Trail-Blais' company that was listed in his bio, which takes you to Richard Blais's website. So it's definitely him.

you would think Richard Blais has a lot more to lose than to win, but it'll be fun to see if any of the contestants are intimidated by someone with such a big name. Plus, I suppose everyone needs a challenge.

A dark horse I would say is Stephanie Izard, former owner Scylla in Chicago. I had an absolutel stellar meal there about a year ago. Scylla closed late last year to make room for Takashi Yagihashi's new restaurant, even though they claimed they were still making quality money.

Looks like a lot of quality cooks, should be an interesting season.

Looks like the contestants for Top Chef Chicago have been announced:

http://eater.com/archives/2008/01/top_chef_chicag.php

Am I reading correctly that Richard Blais is one of the contestants?  That's got to be the most high-profile chef they've ever had compete.

So that is where he disappeared on the west coast. The rumors were swirling here in Atlanta. He is back in town at the moment though, as he answered a local thread. Go chef!

More info on Blais, and another Atlanta contestant, Nimma Osman:

SPOILER ALERT!?!?! For some unknown reason, Meredith Ford thought that it would be a good reason to post the rumors on how the contestants did. True or not, I have no idea, but I'm not happy I just read that.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/living/conten...hese_two_t.html

Edited by Reignking (log)

More info on Blais, and another Atlanta contestant, Nimma Osman:

SPOILER ALERT!?!?!  For some unknown reason, Meredith Ford thought that it would be a good reason to post the rumors on how the contestants did.  True or not, I have no idea, but I'm not happy I just read that.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/living/conten...hese_two_t.html

so, those 2 are the finalists for the season??

Having worked with TC casting in the past to help identify new contestants, they were extremely interested in making sure the cooking on the show represents the best that is out there.

They have always wanted to include the most experienced and well-known chefs they could get. Of course, since the show requires a hiatus and the $100k prize is chicken-scratch when you consder the cost of operating a high-end restaurant, the contestant pool has been self-selecting to those who are typically in the early stages of their career, or who have not yet opened their own place.

Of course, another element that this brings into play is the drama created when a home-spun, self-taught cook bests a classically-trained and established chef. I'm paraphrasing here, but one casting director once said, "how great would it be if a self-taught line cook beat out a French Laundry alum?"

so, those 2 are the finalists for the season??

The spoiler that Reignking was referring to in the article (don't read if you don't want to be spoiled) was the line that read "Rumor has it that Osman gets cut pretty quickly, but that Blais makes it to at least the final four." Not that they were both finalists...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if I can even get myself to watch this show again. Last season was really, really bad. I didn't even bother watching the finale or the show leading up to the finale.

I'm not particularly a big fan of Molecular Gastronomy either which it appears is something this show will eventually make a clear focal point.

--- KensethFan

Of course, another element that this brings into play is the drama created when a home-spun, self-taught cook bests a classically-trained and established chef.  I'm paraphrasing here,  but one casting director once said, "how great would it be if a self-taught line cook beat out a French Laundry alum?"

Now that we're onto the 4th season, I think the show has shown that the home enthusiast can't match up to a trained cook. They've been putting more people with real chef credentials on the show each season, and I believe all the contestants in the last season at least made a living in the food industry. I don't see how an enthusiast can cook better than someone who eats, smells, lives, and breathes food and cooking from the moment they wake up to the moment they go to sleep. As an enthusiast myself, I'm restricted to the grocery store where I can't really afford to go experiment with hundreds of different ingredients. There's just no way you can be exposed to the same wealth of knowledge of preparation and ingredients that a person working in the kitchen can.

They have always wanted to include the most experienced and well-known chefs they could get.  Of course, since the show requires a hiatus and the $100k prize is chicken-scratch when you consder the cost of operating a high-end restaurant, the contestant pool has been self-selecting to those who are typically in the early stages of their career, or who have not yet opened their own place.

To be contestant would seem to have more appeal to someone at the sous-chef level or below, although the the publicity from the show wouldn't hurt someone who is already an executive chef at a restaurant or has his own place. At least, it won't hurt as long as he didn't get bounced too early.

I ate at Scylla, Stephanie Izard's place once and thought it was great. Most memorable was the foie gras creme brulee appetizer and the cashew financier for dessert. She should do well.

As a fellow Kendall alum, I'm hoping Valerie goes pretty far too.

-Rich