• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Malted Milk Truffle...

merlicky

I’ve recently been trying to create a malted milk truffle and have run into a few stumbling blocks.

I have tried to put malt into the cream as I would with any other sugar. I tried various quantities up to about 3 tbsp for only 1.6 oz of cream (the container recommends 3 tbsp for 8 oz of milk to make malted milk)…I’m not sure how much more the cream can absorb.

The problem is that the sugars in the milk chocolate completely overpower the malt added to the cream. I can taste it in the ganache, but then again I’m not really a fan of malt so I pick up on it fairly quickly. I ran the ganache by some family members that are huge malt fans and they didn’t even notice it…most likely because they were expecting a fairly significant malt presence.

For the time being, I coated the ganache and rolled it in malt powder. This was a much bigger hit with the malt loving crowd since the malt flavor hit you right away.

But, I am still hoping that somehow I can carry the malt flavor through the ganache instead of relying on the coating. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike.

I’ve recently been trying to create a malted milk truffle and have run into a few stumbling blocks.

I have tried to put malt into the cream as I would with any other sugar.  I tried various quantities up to about 3 tbsp for only 1.6 oz of cream (the container recommends 3 tbsp for 8 oz of milk to make malted milk)…I’m not sure how much more the cream can absorb.

The problem is that the sugars in the milk chocolate completely overpower the malt added to the cream.  I can taste it in the ganache, but then again I’m not really a fan of malt so I pick up on it fairly quickly.  I ran the ganache by some family members that are huge malt fans and they didn’t even notice it…most likely because they were expecting a fairly significant malt presence.

For the time being, I coated the ganache and rolled it in malt powder. This was a much bigger hit with the malt loving crowd since the malt flavor hit you right away.

But, I am still hoping that somehow I can carry the malt flavor through the ganache instead of relying on the coating.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike.

Have you tried a ganache with white chocolate instead of milk. I find that the chocolate itself often covers the flavour I'm trying to achieve.

On an older topic, I posted this recipe for a malted milk filling that I've used for truffles. It takes a lot of malted powder to make the filling taste like malted milk. You can't do it with a ganache.

Hope this is helpful.

Chocolate-Malt Filling

1 cup white chocolate chunks or chips

2/3 cups milk chocolate chunks or chips

1/4 cup unsalted butter

3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp plain malted milk powder

1 3oz package cream cheese, softened

1/3 cup milk

2 tsp vanilla extract

Melt chocolate and butter in small heavy saucepan over low heat and cool slightly.

Beat the malted milk powder and cream cheese until well blended and completely smooth. Beat in half of the chocolate mixture just until incorporated. Beat in the milk a little at a time until well blended. Beat in the remaining chocolate mixture and the vanilla until evenly incorporated.

At this point the texture will be really strange and viscous. Don't worry. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until somewhat thickened but not stiff. Beat the filling on high speed until light in color and very fluffy, about 3 minutes more; scrape down the sides several times.

I make malted truffles and I didnt have any problem getting the flavor of malt in it ,I think the trick would be get a milk chocolate that is right for the filling.One of the best for this pourpose is El Rey Irapa , has a distinc malt flavor and is one of its quality.I think milk chocolate its much better for malted ganache , but this is my taste and opinion.

Vanessa

Reading the comments above it looks like white chocolate might be part of the key...makes some sense.

JAZ, how fluffy is the end result in that recipe?  I'd be interested in trying a non-ganache filling, but I don't want anything too airy.

It's not as dense as a ganache, but I wouldn't call it airy.

I've been using Jaz's malted milk filling for my cakes....it is so scrumptious, I cant bear it.

I love the texture....it sort of reminds me a little of a Three Musketeers bar, but maltier.

That said, I would also recommend trying Horlicks malted milk powder instead of

Ovaltine or Carnation. Horlicks is much fuller in flavor and might help beef up

the malt flavor for the ganache you want to use in the truffle

I also use this filling with a thin layer of caramel sauce (usually with chocolate cake) and chocolate ganache.

Talk about KILLER! It's a candy bar in a cake.....I sprinkle a little Maldon's on top of the

caramel, too!

Horlicks is available in Asian markets, as well as British import markets.

www.onetoughcookienyc.com