• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ingredients in places that....lack them.

most people in london are lucky enough to have the borough market, and the food halls in the big stores..

i live in middlesbrough, a place that when i asked a woman working in a butchers shop about duck she told me we only have savory duck.

spices, and dried stuff are easy to be found online, i took bigger steps and ordered mortadella from london that arrived perfectly in a cold box, and i cant miss my monthly need for japanese mayo.

So , people with no access to markets, as its not cheap(30p for a head of garlic? 69p for 25grams of parsley?) /good quality to buy from sainsburys or tescos... where do you get your things? Online links would be ideal

Nick.

I have used Natoora for online purchases of fresh fruit/veg and deli stuff but this is not cheap - good quality tho.

For mexican ingredients I have bought mail order from Lupe Pintos in Scotland.

I would try and find a wholesale greengrocer in your area. They often have fresher produce and many will sell smaller amounts so long as you do not get in their way when they are busy.

For meat I would head to the farmers markets. There are loads of places selling meat, poultry and fish mail order if you cannot buy locally.

I have used Natoora for online purchases of fresh fruit/veg and deli stuff but this is not cheap - good quality tho.

For mexican ingredients I have bought mail order from Lupe Pintos in Scotland.

I would try and find a wholesale greengrocer in your area. They often have fresher produce and many will sell smaller amounts so long as you do not get in their way when they are busy.

For meat I would head to the farmers markets. There are loads of places selling meat, poultry and fish mail order if you cannot buy locally.

there used to be a farmers market with one veg and one meat stall....not anymore though.

i think i ve tracked down a good butcher here, i am going to pay him a visit tomorrow.