• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London Brunch

Try "hush" in Mayfair.  They have a Sunday brunch menu which includes a glass of champagne, and if the weather's still nice, you can sit out on the terrace.

Could that be the same 'jamieb' who part owns hush?

There's a great article in the current issue of Restaurant (I'm sorry I don't have the link) about the best breakfast in the uk. Yes, it definately recommends Simpsons-in-the-Strand but it turns out that the Best British Breakfast can be had in..................

Glasgow................... at the Ubiquitous Chip - I will admit that a breakfast in Scotland is memorable what with wonderful black pudding and Marag Gheal (one of my favourites - served like black pudding but made of suet and currants yet savory).

Sorry, I just realised it was Sunday Brunch and not breakfast! Well, it's got to be the Dorchester then - amazing roasts and even more amazing tradional English puddings (including trifle and bread and butter pud) - and it's unlimited (have you ever seen a little guy crying as he eats five puddings!). :biggrin:

Brasserie Roux in the Sofitel has just started doing an American style Sunday brunch complete with live jazz. £29 2crs, £34 3crs including a glass of Champagne. Haven't been for the brunch but if it's the same standard as the usual alc menu then it's definitely worth a try!

• 4 years later...

Dear all

Just back from a trip to New York doing a fashion week build-up thing. In spite of the fact that the economy's tanking, everyone's stupid and the food is like Bristol in the 80s, it's still heaps of fun. Forget all the GR London, Waverly guff - more glamour & better food back here I'm afraid.

What you can't do better in New York is BRUNCH.

Now I'm willing to accept that the only reason I'm committed brunch is that it makes drinking at 11am acceptable, but I felt this time something special was at work here. I was at The Spotted Pig , an ecclectic place in the West Village with ex River Cafe chef April Bloomfield in charge.

It's far too popular to bother with at night - I could barely get in the door earlier in the week (a no bookings policy, unless you're famous that is) - but well worth a look around midday. I improved my health with a delicious bloody Mary, then fired up a heavenly spicy beef hash with poached eggs. I even managed some pumpkin pancakes & chilli maple syrup, so taken was I with the sound of it. All with a gallon of the only decent coffee I had in the city all week. Best meal I've had for ages.

Yeah I know we've got the Wolseley, but it's not what I mean. Something local, relaxed and not conforming to the whole lunch / dinner formule which frankly is a bit of a yawn by the time I get to the week-end. Somewhere you can wear your slippers, drink bucks fizz and they won't try to serve you a roast lamb dinner.

What do you say London, can we brunch?*

cheers

Boo

*probably need a better term though

To misquote Somerset Maugham, the only way to eat well in England is to skip brunch three times a day.

We can sort-of cobble something together by pretending to be American (Christopher's) or by pretending to be a private club (Electric Brasserie). Or, better still, by pretending to be a staff canteen (Joe Allen). Oddly, it seems to improve matters if you bowl from the pavillion end (Balans), or if you're able to tolerate the braying company of a hundred 20-something City tosspots in the same blue shirt (Smiths of Smithfield). Then there's the so-expensive-it's-ironic approach to the question (Automat). Alternatively, you may find the ghost of a brunchable Ranger haunt inside SW3 (too late, alas, for Foxtrot Oscar).

So to conclude on the brunch theme: no. We can't. Try to stay in bed until the sun's over the yardarm.

Oddly, it seems to improve matters if you bowl from the pavillion end (Balans), or if you're able to tolerate the braying company of a hundred 20-something City tosspots in the same blue shirt (Smiths of Smithfield).

The tosspots are only there in the week - come the weekends, Smiths is populated in the mornings entirely by local media types and their well behaved, if oddly coiffed, children.

And, if "brunch" includes something as simple as a cappucino and a pattiserie, then Comptoir Gascon a few doors away is excellent.

I really like Smiths of Smithfield for brunch: it's got both funky styling and plays nnnts-nnnts music a tad too loud, which appeals; the OJ is great; hanging out on the sofas is fun; and the breakfasts are pretty delicious. Some of the other food is weaker (avoid the bean burger with 'houmous'), but the chips are great, as is coffee, and I always feel like I'm eating in a big city when I go there. At weekends I'd say there's quite an appealing mix of people there, from the aforementioned meeja types to older people and clubby youngsters.

Also very good is Flaneur, just down the road: the vegetarian breakfast with spinach, halloumi, bubble and squeak and much else is very well cooked.

I've been on a quest for a good weekend brunch for some time. The problem is that by the time I get out of bed and travel the several miles out of the gastronomic wasteland (N10) where I live most places are serving lunch.

I will probably be excommunicated from egullet for writing this but Giraffe has a pretty good brunch menu, if you don't mind a room full of screaming children throwing crayons at you while you eat your eggs on a tortilla with chorizo, black beans and salsa.

I will probably be excommunicated from egullet for writing this but Giraffe has a pretty good brunch menu, if you don't mind a room full of screaming children throwing crayons at you while you eat your eggs on a tortilla with chorizo, black beans and salsa.

why on earth would you be excommunicated?

giraffe is a storming place for brunch. great range of choices

For quite a few years I've considered it to have the smartest menu in London. A great range of stuff, interesting combinations without ever tottering into the random-fusion trap.

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

• 2 weeks later...

i very much enjoy having sunday brunch at lucky seven's on westbourne park...not a traditional brunch, however they do have some of the best brugers in london, and make very good eggs.

i fell there is no point really in trying to recreate the NY brunch experience in London...like trying to have sunday roast over there.

-che

why on earth would you be excommunicated?

giraffe is a storming place for brunch. great range of choices

For quite a few years I've considered it to have the smartest menu in London. A great range of stuff, interesting combinations without ever tottering into the random-fusion trap.

Of all the chains in London I have consistently found Giraffe to be outstanding in terms of menu selection, freshness of ingredients and price. They've managed (somehow) to get it right. I don't think I've ever had a bad lunch or brunch there.