• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bukhara, New Delhi

FDE

Just got back from India last week. Below is a quick report on Bukhara in New Delhi - rated as World's 37th Best Restaurant according to UK's Restaurant Magazine (Best in India).

Here is one of their popular dishes. A whole lamb leg braised in cinnamon, black cumin, red chilli and grilled in Tandoor.

gallery_57364_5484_56411.jpg

Good food, but expensive even for non-locals -- each dish is about USD$35. For five of us, our total bill came to USD$265 on food and USD$100 on wine.

Full report here:

www.finediningexplorer.com/bukhara

If you do go up north to Amritsar (near Pakistan border) to visit the Golden Temple, you must stop by Moti Mahal, a restaurant in Hotel Grand Legacy. It is one of the best curry restaurants in the region.

www.grandlegacy.net

Edited by FDE (log)

Fine Dining Explorer

www.finediningexplorer.com

Was waaaay out of my price range when I visited there... Had to eat much more humble, but just as tasty, vittles..

Don't worry... you didn't miss out much. We travelled East, West and North India and tried many tandoori places. To be honest, Bukhara does NOT stand out from the rest. It is famous probably because it's a hot spot for celebrities and presidents.

Fine Dining Explorer

www.finediningexplorer.com

• 3 weeks later...

I completely agree, it doesn't stand out at all, and its very bizarre to be in a country full of genuine cheap and good tandoori restaurants, paying through the nose to be in an artificial environment surrounded by expense account ex-pats. The prices are shocking, it says it all that I would not consider it exceptionjally good value if it were re-located to London with the same price structure! No way the 35th best restaurant in the World, or even in India.