• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What does Honesty and Integrity for a chef mean?

phan1

Well, I obviously know what it means, but what does it mean in the food world? I've been reading a lot of chefs book, and one of the things that they keep talking about keeping "honesty and integrity" in their food. Can someone tell me what their talking about? This especially applies to the "technologically advanced" chefs like Blumenthal and Andrea. It seems like that's usually something they talk about when people try to attack them for being "gimmicky" or what-not.

To me, it often sounds like they're talking about not being pretentious, not being a pre-madonna, and not being overly flashy. I'm sorry, but isn't this what the top chefs of the world do?!? Don't they take basic dishes and basic flavors and dress them up to look like exotic sculptures? They DO! And I don't think there's anything wrong with that! I don't think there's anything wrong with making a salmon tartare look like an ice-cream cone! In fact, I think that's wonderful! But if you're going to say that dish has "honesty" and "integrity", than I'm not going to know you're talking about...

• 2 weeks later...

I think it has more to do with being true to self...

We hold ourslves to a higher standard, perfectionalists no less. In it's base form cooking is a very subjective thing. We try to invent or make something that is no less than perfect.

But, without feedback you'll never really know. It's the response to what your trying to achieve that really matters in the end. Sometimes they get it and sometimes they don't.

-Jimmy

Typos are Copyrighted @