• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Rum are YOU enjoying while you read this?

Dan Smith

Greetings,

I just wanted to say that I LOVE RUM and that I am enjoying a fine one that a friend just brought back from Ecuador. It's called Ron San Miguel 7 YO. It's the first rum in my collection that's distilled in a country that does not touch the Caribbean Sea [or North Sea as it was known in Sir Francis Drake and Don Diego Ledesma Paredes y Guzman Orvantes time (better known as Admiral Ledesma)].

It's a surprisingly pale yellow rum for a 7 YO. One would think that it's no more than 3 years old. It's sweet, not heavy, nor dry, but a little strong and slight fruity finish. A 4 star (out of 5) in my books.

I once read that the better you are at drinking, the worse you are at thinking. Lets prove them wrong and write about what you are drinking and thinking...

Cheers

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

Although I'm not drinking at this early hour, lately I've been enjoying a glass of El Dorado 12 year old while I catch up here, make some notes at night. But Sea Wynde has also found its way into my glass recently, and of course one of my old favorites, Barbancourt 5 star.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I just finished a glass of Bacardi 8 YO that I had at the Hyatt O'Hare's sports bar. I usually stay away from Bacardi, but they had nothing else and I have been wanting to try it for quite some time now. I have hesitated in buying a bottle due to the bad experiences that I have had with ALL of their other rums, BUT this 8 YO really takes a different path from what you would expect from them.

I really enjoyed it neat with a couple of ice cubes. It started off smooth, very drinkable but with no real distinct flavours (at the start it kind of reminded me of the Cohiba 5 YO that I had recently). The "aromas" really came through latter on and the rum's taste matured as the glass went down, like a fine cigar matures as it passed half way. It became more complex and sweeter with vanilla developing. The vanilla almost became too over powering as I neared the end of the drink. I did say almost as it was a great surprise to me that it developed that way and was quite enjoyable.

Conclusion: I must buy a bottle of this during my next rum run and it has changed my view of Bacardi product in a positive way and showed me the potential that they still have.

BTY Ed; I can't wait to get home Monday night to try my El Dorado 12 YO. I'll let you all know what I think about it and the other 3 next rums I bought this time rum running.

Cheers

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

I'm sitting here in our dining room at our timeshare in St. Maarten overlooking Dawn Beach and the islang of St. Barts, drinking a mojito made with La Mauny white rum agricole.

I have to admit, Rhum agricole, especially the white stuff, has an unusual acquired taste, like fermented sugar cane. I also bought a 1984 vintage La Mauny as well, which I havent opened yet.

We bought a LOT of rums here in St. Maarten, we'll be sure to give you a full report on our finds (with pictures) when we get back!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've never tried a mojito with rhum agricole. I usually just make a 'ti punch, sugar cane sryup, squeeze of lime and rhum agricole. The proportions are critical since this is a 100 proof drink.

I'd love to make you a 'ti punch when I see you in New York.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Ed, I really enjoyed that 'ti punch we had the other night. You've now got me hooked on Sugar Cane Syrup. Please let me know if/when it will trickle it's way into the US and Canada. In the mean time I will do as you recommended and mix the Demerara sugar 50/50 with water as the sugar cane syrup replacement in the 'ti punch.

When are you leaving the Windy City? I'm still in Chicago, I fly home tomorrow and can't wait to try the new rums that I am bringing back; El Dorado 12 YO, Matusalem Classico 10 YO, Montecristo 12 YO and Barrilito 3 Star. I will post my tasting notes next week.

Now back on track of the topic. I'm having a Gosling’s Black Seal with some ice and a twist of orange and I had another Bacardi 8 YO. I enjoyed the Black Seal more than the Bacardi. I find that the Bacardi is good, see above post, but it really takes me a long time to finish a glass and finished a little too strong on the vanilla component. It reminds me too much of the Captain. It still remains nice rum though. The Black Seal went down great and was totally enjoyable, I must get a bottle of this during my next trip to Ottawa.

BTY Jason, sounds like you have a great view from your dinning room, I am jealous wink.gif

Greetings All,

My thanks to Ed and Jason. First time meeting at the Penthouse Rumfest on Monday night. I was working the West Indies Spirits table (next to that Latina babe from Zacapa). Highest marks go to the hostess of the Montecristo table. Oh yeah, FOCUS, this discussion is supposed to be about rum..........................

It's 10:45 AM here in Salt Lake City, so I can only comment upon last nights rum. Picked up a Ron Zacapa Centenario in Manhattan tueday and opened it last night. Pretty damned good, a little bit on the sweet side though. Would love to taste it with a little less added sweetness.

Cheers, Realrum.com (aka Malcolm)

I'm posting this after having computer problems last night while I was enjoying Abuelo Reserva from Panama. When the importer gets label approval for this brand I'll have more information at Ministry of Rum .

This was one of the many pleasant surprises at the Penthouse Rum Fest in NY. You never know when or where you'll meet your next favorite rum.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Cheers

I have a bottle of Abuelo Reserva (now empty) in my collection. I bought it at the famous Albertson’s in Pembroke Pines in FL. I was told that it is distilled in Cuba and sent in bulk to Panama for bottling and re-labeling under the Abuelo banner for sale in the US. Another rumor? How can we ever validate such statements?

Always seeking the truth (and new rums) Dan!

P.s.: I can’t remember the Abuelo too much, I drank the bottle fast while traveling and did not take tasting notes back then. I remember that it was not among my favorites, but better than most.

Varela Hermanos has had a distillery in Panama for years and there is no truth in that rumor at all. But it's a pretty good one, better than most. There are two Abuelo Añejo rums coming, Ron Abuelo Añejo Reserva Especial and Ron Abuelo Añejo 7 Años Reserva Superior.

Don't expect to see them in this year but early next year they should be on the shelves in Florida since the import company is in Florida.

Something to look forward to.

The Añejo 7 Años Reserva Superior is quite nice. I haven't had time to do a proper tasting of it yet but I've got a bottle to taste. I rarely taste something and then write about it the same day, these things generally take a few days since impressions change. After a few tastings over a week or so I feel like I get more of an impression of the rum and am less influenced by the bottle and label. As objective as we all try to be no of us can give an impression that isn't weighted by the presentation.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Everyone who went to the Rum Fest in NY noticed the Montecristo display. I'm trying to catch up on my notes before I take off to the islands and don't want to carry too many bottles back with me so I'm enjoying that fine 12 year old, rum, just in case your mind is wandering from the topic here. I'd like to hear some of your impressions since that is a popular rum so I'm going to start a new thread, so this one doesn't get sidetracked. But, just to see if you were paying attention, what is woman's name who is holding the bottle of Montecristo in Jason's pictures?

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com