• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baked Apples

ludja

I made some delicious baked apples last night when I was looking for a quick dessert from the larder. I prepped them before dinner and then let them bake while we ate dinner.

I found a great recipe in Jane Sigal's nice book, "Backroad Bistros, Farmhouse Fare".

The peeled and cored apples are partially filled with a mixture of softened, unsalted butter, granulated white sugar, lambig or calvados, and grated orange zest. Bake at 350 deg F for ~ an hour, basting the outside of the apples occasionally.

I served them with some softly whipped, unsweetened whipped cream. The flavors were a nice change from the typical (in the US, anyway) "apples spices".

Here are the ingredient amounts for 4 apples:

4 Tbs softened, unsalted butter

3 Tbs granulated sugar

2 Tbs lambig or Calvados (I think whiskey or non-apple brandy would also work well)

1 tsp grated orange zest (I had tangerines at home so I used them)

4 apples, cored and peeled (not sure what type I had as they had been in the crisper for awhile...)

Next time, I'm thinking of adding some chopped hazelnuts to the mix halfway through the baking.

I"d love to hear others ideas for baked apple recipes! I'm thinking of experimenting with speculaas spices, wine, cassis, etc...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I prepare baked apples, just cored because I like them with the skins, filled with a mixture of lime marmalade and grated ginger and served with a dollop of sour cream.

I bake them in a jumbo muffin pan when preparing several at a time.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I prepare baked apples, just cored because I like them with the skins, filled with a mixture of lime marmalade and grated ginger and served with a dollop of sour cream.

I bake them in a jumbo muffin pan when preparing several at a time.

Sounds like a great combo; thanks for sharing, andiesenji! I've seen some recipes with orange marmalade in them.

gallery_41282_4652_1606.jpg

Basically its a baked apple with cinnamon and sugar wrapped in glazed fillo.

This is a great idea and so lovely looking... :smile:

With the hazelnuts that I have at home right now, I'm thinking of combining ground hazelnuts, bread crumbs, sugar and softened butter next time.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

I forget where I first saw it, but baked apples with almond paste and seasonings in the middle are good.

Could do with your ground hazelnuts Ludja, plus a hit of Frangelico maybe?

Oh, I know exactly the person who would love the almond paste in the middle of a baked apple - hubby!

Anyone care to share the apple variety you are using? I find some varieties work well, some collapse and some develop a very tough skin when baked. Would appreciate advice on readily available varieties in N. America as I am not likely able to source heritage and very locally available types. Of course, if I had kept detailed notes I would remember which ones worked. :blush:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

^Hmmm... I like the almond paste idea also. And a ground hazelnut frangipane or paste with Frangelico sounds great.

I *think* I used Braeburn apples in the dish I mentioned in the first post. They were nice and tender but kept their shape as well w/o the skin which I peeled off. Next time I think I'll try some Granny Smiths that I have in the pantry.

I've had good success with Granny Smith's.

Pippins are too small, tho the flavor is good.

I once did a red apple with maple syrup in the middle. Dont remember the variety. It was good. I dont think I'd like it with a green apple tho.

I usually fill the core with butter & sugar. Doesnt seem to need anything else.

Perhaps I'll try a liqueur sometime.

If in a hurry, prep the apple, put it in a bowl, add a little water (a T or so), cover and nuke. Baked apple in < 5 min.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I have used Rome Beauties with a fair amount of sucess. I core them, take a bit of the peel from around the top, and fill the core-space with raisins, chopped walnuts, a bit of butter and brown sugar, and the pour a little rum over the whole dish. The butter, sugar and rum melt into a nice basting liquid as they bake. I have even cut the apples in half thru the equator, and put a bit of the stuffing in between, like a sandwich. :rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Yes, it's all coming back to me now (isn't that a song?). I remember that my success was with the Rome but I also recall at least one other red apple. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I like the Braeburn and lately have been using some lovely Cripps Pink apples from Washington State that were in the local produce market last month. I bought them the week between Christmas and New Year and they are still good, stored in my pantry which is not as cold as the fridge, but much cooler than the kitchen.

They are also good eaten out of hand.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 years later...

I'm a little late to the topic but heading into fall and apple season I get a craving for apple dumplings with hard sauce. Appleton rum is usually our choice for the hard sauce.

A good baking apples cored and peeled( peel can be left on but I don't like it) brown sugar ,cinnamon,rasins if you like in the center. wrapped in homemade pastry , baked and towards the end the hard sauce( rum, water, butter, sugar and cornstarch ) is basted over .

awesome. :)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow