• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Chopped Liver

SarahD

Lo those many years ago, when I was growing up on the Upper West Side, my favorite 1/2-day-of-school go-hang-in-mom's-office lunch was chopped liver on a Kaiser roll. Recently having a yen for the same I was STYMIED. All the sandwich counters near my home or office don't carry chopped liver. I'm shocked, I tell you. Yeah, yeah ... it's a heart attack on a roll, but I like it.

SO, E-gullions, where are your favorite places to get chopped liver? Am I the only person who craves this on occasion? Am I weird? (Oh wait, don't answer that).

Your best bet for a sandwich is probably a kosher deli. I know for a fact that Mr Broadway (B'way and 37th) has chopped liver sandwiches. But I've never tried them. Personally, my favorite chopped liver comes from Super Sol (Amsterdam & 85th). It's basically liver, onion, and ground pepper. Schmear it on a challah roll, and I'm in heaven.

(All the kosher butchers/take-out places will carry chopped liver.)

And no, you're not weird. Blovie and I eat chopped liver more frequently than we publicly admit to. :laugh: It's actually rare that we don't have in the house.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Sarah, I'd like to join Sam in welcoming you to eGullet.

I sure don't know the answer to what you're looking for, but I do want a report on the results of your quest.

Michael aka "Pan"

Personally, my favorite chopped liver comes from Super Sol (Amsterdam & 85th). It's basically liver, onion, and ground pepper. Schmear it on a challah roll, and I'm in heaven.

Yum. I hope they're open on January 1.

--

1st prize goes to my mom. Unfortunately she only makes it two or three times a year.

2nd prize goes to Sammy's Romanian - Chunky, Shmaltzy with plenty of carmelized onions

3rd prize goes to Barney Greengrass - Great flavor but too creamy (IMO)

Second Ave. Deli makes a pretty good one too but I have only eaten it in a combination Sandwich.

Lo those many years ago, when I was growing up on the Upper West Side, my favorite 1/2-day-of-school go-hang-in-mom's-office lunch was chopped liver on a Kaiser roll. Recently having a yen for the same I was STYMIED. All the sandwich counters near my home or office don't carry chopped liver. I'm shocked, I tell you. Yeah, yeah ... it's a heart attack on a roll, but I like it.

SO, E-gullions, where are your favorite places to get chopped liver? Am I the only person who craves this on occasion? Am I weird? (Oh wait, don't answer that).

Sarah: Even though i'm from Seattle my care packages from Zabars, 2nd Ave Deli always include Chopped Liver.

Remember it good for you ! Gramma was always right. Enjoy it's naturally full of love, it's high protien and I hope made with Schmaltz.

Living in NYC your at Chopped Liver Heaven, it shoud be available at any Jewish Style place.

Don't forget that the majority of Dairy Restaurants offer a actually real good for you "Chopped Liver" [sort off] that tastes pretty good.

Eat in Good Health [enjoy] a treat since it's always a special occasion.

Irwin :biggrin:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Personally, my favorite chopped liver comes from Super Sol (Amsterdam & 85th).  It's basically liver, onion, and ground pepper.  Schmear it on a challah roll, and I'm in heaven.

Yum. I hope they're open on January 1.

They should be. Thursday is a big food shopping day in the Orthodox Jewish community.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Haven't compared it to a bunch of other NY delis, but I just had a great chopped liver sandwich at Carnegie Deli (7th b/t 54th and 55th) on Sunday. Yummmm! Split a sanwich w/my Mom; then shared an order of blintzes w/sour cream...

I need to start a thread on where to find chopped liver in the SF bay area; now that's a challenge.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

This is my first post, so please excuse any mistakes on my part.

I love Murray's Sturgeon Shop on Broadway between 89th and 90th for chopped liver. They won't put it on a roll because they don't carry rolls but will put it on a very excellent bagel. They also have vegetable chopped liver, an oddity (and some would say blasphemy) which I have not seen elsewhere. I have no idea what's in it (except it's meat free) but it does taste surprisingly like the real thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I love Murray's Sturgeon Shop on Broadway between 89th and 90th for chopped liver. They won't put it on a roll because they don't carry rolls but will put it on a very excellent bagel. They also have vegetable chopped liver, an oddity (and some would say blasphemy) which I have not seen elsewhere. I have no idea what's in it (except it's meat free) but it does taste surprisingly like the real thing.

Somebody asked me for a recipe for this today. Anyone got a good one? I assume this is heavily mushroom-based, like a duxelles.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Somebody asked me for a recipe for this today. Anyone got a good one? I assume this is heavily mushroom-based, like a duxelles.

I don't have a recipe for this, but I'd love to find the recipe I lost for vegetarian chopped "liver" that was made of lentils and eggs. The woman who gave it to me is long gone.

And while we're discussing chopped liver... what's the preference here? Chopped beef/calves' liver or chopped chicken livers? Mine is definitely for the latter.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

This is my first post, so please excuse any mistakes on my part.

I love Murray's Sturgeon Shop on Broadway between 89th and 90th for chopped liver.  They won't put it on a roll because they don't carry rolls but will put it on a very excellent bagel.  They also have vegetable chopped liver, an oddity (and some would say blasphemy) which I have not seen elsewhere.  I have no idea what's in it (except it's meat free) but it does taste surprisingly like the real thing.

Thanks for the info Mulcahy, Murray's is one of my favorites too, and I have not had their chopped liver. Their tuna is also really good, as if I made it myself.

Emma Peel

Fairway sells a decent veggie chopped liver. The ingredients are on the label.

I miss Bagel Nosh (there was one around the corner from me). They had good (if it was fresh) C L which was great on a salt bagel.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

I've never made veggie chopped liver, but I have a couple of recipes for it if anyone is interested. One of my friends makes an excellent one - and she kindly makes it for me when we join them for meals.

I've never made veggie chopped liver, but I have a couple of recipes for it if anyone is interested.  One of my friends makes an excellent one - and she kindly makes it for me when we join them for meals.

If you have one that uses lentils, I'd be much obliged. I remember my friend's recipe as using lentils, sauteed onions, chopped egg... and I don't remember what else! It didn't have any nuts.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I've never made veggie chopped liver, but I have a couple of recipes for it if anyone is interested.  One of my friends makes an excellent one - and she kindly makes it for me when we join them for meals.

If you have one that uses lentils, I'd be much obliged. I remember my friend's recipe as using lentils, sauteed onions, chopped egg... and I don't remember what else! It didn't have any nuts.

You asked for it, you got it.......(mind you, I've never made this. I have no idea how it will taste)

Hearty Vegetarian Chopped Liver adapted from Spice and Spirit

1 pound lentils

4 cups chopped onion

6 tablespoons oil

12-16 hardboiled eggs

2 tablespoons peanut butter

1/2 teaspoon white pepper

2 teaspons salt

Cook lentils until soft and drain. Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons of oil in large skillet and saute onions until well-caramelized. Combine lentils and eggs and chop to fine consistency. Add the lentil-egg mixture and remaining 3 tablespoons of oil to the onions. Add peanut butter, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)