• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Chopped Liver

SarahD

Second Ave. Deli. No contest.

(yes, the food is every bit as good as the old place, even though it now costs 50% to 75% more....)

I had lunch there last week, a table away from Ed Koch. It was OK,not great. Same as the old place. My grandfather first took me there about 1980.....

I had lunch there last week, a table away from Ed Koch.  It was OK,not great.  Same as the old place.  My grandfather first took me there about 1980.....

Likewise last week. Meh. And the chopped liver was a little bland, and left my stomach rumbling for the afternoon, for what that's worth, though that might have been the gribenes, which were delish. At home I can make better.

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

I recently had dinner at Sammy's Roumanian Steakhouse (I know, I know.  I should be thrown from egullet.  Worst part is I had a fabulous time)  I was blown away by the chopped liver and wondered where else I could go in New York if I wanted to try the best. 

Nobody should feel the need to apologize for dining at Sammy's Roumanian. They may do only a few things well — the chopped liver among them — but if that's what you happen to be interested in, Sammy's is the real deal.

Eisenstiens has killer chopped liver sandwiches. I like mine with turkey and mustard.

Ahh, a true classic, Toby. Is Eisenstein's the one on the upper east side?

I think that Carnegie Deli has the best, but 2nd Ave. Deli, Sarges are also good.

Also Schillers in the Lower East Side