• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin Red Guide for France 2008

John Talbott

I was there a couple of years ago and didn't find it very impressive. I'll have to try again.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Le Restaurant was mentioned in The Daily Telegraph today : Michelin star for Paris Marmite hotel

"A Paris hotel famous for serving Marmite for breakfast won a Michelin star yesterday. The Michelin guide, whose 2008 French edition was published yesterday, awarded the culinary accolade to Le Restaurant at the British-owned L'Hotel, the Left Bank establishment where Oscar Wilde spent his final days.........The palate behind the Michelin star, however, is not British. The head chef Philippe Bélissent is a 30-year-old rising star from Burgundy. He came to Le Restaurant from the three Michelin-starred Ledoyen in Paris, where he was sous-chef. His six-course degustation menu starts at £70 a head......."

• 1 month later...

I just bought Michelin's latest endeavor, the magazine "étoile".

This first edition features articles on Jean Georges Vongerichten, Gérald Passédat and Jean Luc Rabanel, a recipe and story on Paul Bocuse's truffle soup, articles featuring London, Burgandy, Turin, Marseille and the Luberon. I've just started glancing through it, but would definitely buy it again.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

For those who can't get it, here's the link.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog