• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guide to Online Meat Sources

Chris Hennes

You can also try contacting http://www.hicattle.org/Industry/Default.aspx who may be able to put you in touch with producers, who then may be able to put you in touch with retailers of their products.

Follow up to prasantrin's excellent idea:

They gave me the a list of ranch's in the State and lo and behold there is one in Oahu on the list!

http://www.beefhawaii.com/

I wrote them asking questions using the information from the "BEEF" book and await there reply.

Stay tuned.

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Glad it helped! I don't know if you noticed, but the North Shore Cattle Company also sells at a couple of farmer's markets on the island, so if you're near either of them, you can always go and check out the meat in person. And they have a restaurant, so you can always taste it before you buy!

Interesting. My in-laws in Honolulu have been avoiding red meat lately, but maybe next time we're there we can take a few days on the North Shore. I can see some local beef and shrimp and a shave ice for dessert happening.

Glad it helped!  I don't know if you noticed, but the North Shore Cattle Company also sells at a couple of farmer's markets on the island, so if you're near either of them, you can always go and check out the meat in person.  And they have a restaurant, so you can always taste it before you buy!

Planned on going to the Farmer's market on Sat which is a 10 minute ride from my house.

Alan Wong's Restaurant is Hawaii's 2009 winner for the BEST. I think this makes the 3rd year in a row and 6 or 7 out of the last 10 that its won BEST in Hawaii. The Pres. ate there in Dec. I don't know if I should hold that against them or mark it as a accolade. :wink: Anyway the fact that they use their beef is a very good sign.

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

Interesting.  My in-laws in Honolulu have been avoiding red meat lately, but maybe next time we're there we can take a few days on the North Shore.  I can see some local beef and shrimp and a shave ice for dessert happening.

Um, don't forget to make that reservation for two more when you do! :biggrin:

• 3 months later...

When we were on Oahu in May, we ate at the counter (at Wong's) and had a great meal. At any rate, just saw this thread... I could have sworn that there were a couple of tables at the Community College Farmer's Mkt that were meat sources. Have you checked with the CC's cooking school about where they're sourcing their meat?

When we were on Oahu in May, we ate at the counter (at Wong's) and had a great meal. At any rate, just saw this thread... I could have sworn that there were a couple of tables at the Community College Farmer's Mkt that were meat sources. Have you checked with the CC's cooking school about where they're sourcing their meat?

I have checked the booth at the FM held on Sat's at the CC. Thanks for the suggestion.

I buy most of my proteins now at Whole Foods and on some few occasions online.