• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lunch restaurant suggestions in Princeton?

BeaChambers

I'm fond of Alchemist and Barrister. It's on Witherspoon. There's a back garden and a pubby barroom as well as the formal space up front. Great nachos with andouille sausage!

Kitchen Kutie

"I've had jutht about enough outta you!"--Daffy Duck

Most of the other places are new to me (I'm class of '77). I've only recently started spending time there again. Some of the ones around Palmer Square look promising though.

Kitchen Kutie

"I've had jutht about enough outta you!"--Daffy Duck

A couple of options: My favorite is Main Street cafe, in the Princeton Shopping Center on Harrison. Mediterra on Palmer Square has a small but interesting lunch menu, if you like Mediterrian inspired, if not authentic, food. There is a wonderful hole in thewall Japanese place on Chambers Street, whcih has very good Bonito boxes. The A and B previously mentioned is decent...their salads are never as fresh as I'd like, but their pastas and grilled sandwhiches are winners. A quick trip over to Route 1,and there is Big Fish in the Marketfair, a great great great choice.

The new korean/japanese restaurant, deceptively named "Sushi Cafe" that opened on september 7th on Nassau St. next to the bagel shop and T Sweets, is an awesome lunch spot. In fact, I'm going there in a couple of minutes! (:

They have a nice selection of VERY generous lunch boxes varying in price between $9 and 13. So far, I have tried their calbee lunch box and the korean seafood tofu pot (don't forget to ask for the raw egg). Also, the atmosphere is very nice, with light clean wood and very decent japanese prints. Foodwise, I would stick to the Korean, since the owners are Korean. However, I've heard them speak Japanese as well, so this tiny new place may really be the best of both worlds...

Thanks for all the suggestions. Since we will walk from the Princeton Record Exchange, anything that isn't walking distance won't do :smile:

Sushi cafe sounds like fun. And so do Main St. Cafe and Mediterra. I will have to walk along Chambers st. and see what we find.

I saw an interesting place, Le Copain(?) but don't know if it is open for lunch or not. It's on Witherspoon, near Nassau.

Bea---NJ

Let's see - things within a walk in downtown Princeton...

Also in the Palmer Square area is Theresa's. Had lunch there several years ago, yet wasn't that impressed at the time. It was crowded, noisy, and the service left something to be desired. However, it might be worth a try if it's not too crowded. We tried the New Brunswick version last spring and liked it, so we'd be willing to try the Princeton one again.

Les Copains was one of our big dinner disappointments about a year or so ago, but I've read some better things about it of late. I think it may be open for lunch.

I think Chambers St., if it's the place I'm thinking of, may have some ethnic places that may be suitable. By "ethnic," I mean Mexican and Indian.

The one place I'd really recommend for lunch, though, is a cute little place on Nassau St., near the Orchid Pavilion (a Chinese restaurant we've never tried, but haven't read many good things about). Sorry to say, I don't know its name, but it has a downstairs bakery full of temptations :smile: and a charming little dining room upstairs with a nice variety of light foods that I found perfect for lunch when I tried it with a friend about a year or so ago.

Have fun!