• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gluten Free Desserts that taste good

lorinda

I am toying with making some of my tarts (made with pate sucre) with gluten free flour, for a friend who is gluten intolerant. I was wondering if anyone has tried this (ie, using gluten free flour mix) and what the results are like, and whether it is worth doing.

TIA

"I'll just die if I don't get this recipe."

I am toying with making some of my tarts (made with pate sucre) with gluten free flour, for a friend who is gluten intolerant. I was wondering if anyone has tried this (ie, using gluten free flour mix) and what the results are like, and whether it is worth doing. 

TIA

My daughter has celiacs so I've been doing lots of gluten free baking for years. Generally I find that the best desserts are ones that don't call for flour to begin with. Flourless chocolate cakes, meringue desserts, cheesecakes, creme brulee or pots de creme etc. Barbara's gluten free baking mix is the best I've found to substitute for regular flour and will make great cookies, pancakes, biscuits and banana bread, but nothing does really well for regular pie crust. Sometimes I buy good quality gluten free cookies (gingersnaps are great) and make a cookie crumb crust for pumpkin pie or cheesecake.

My daughter has celiacs so I've been doing lots of gluten free baking for years. Generally I find that the best desserts are ones that don't call for flour to begin with. Flourless chocolate cakes, meringue desserts, cheesecakes, creme brulee or pots de creme etc. Barbara's gluten free baking mix is the best I've found to substitute for regular flour and will make great cookies, pancakes, biscuits and banana bread, but nothing does really well for regular pie crust. Sometimes I buy good quality gluten free cookies (gingersnaps are great) and make a cookie crumb crust for pumpkin pie or cheesecake.

Thank you plafield for your response. Over the weekend I made a flourless choc cake and frangipane tarts (pastry made with gluten free flour); the tarts turned out surprisingly well. In fact, it was a bonus that the flour doesn't seem to brown as readily.

"I'll just die if I don't get this recipe."