• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

m:brgr

riboflavinjoe

I ate there this evening, and to be honest I found nothing to be special about the place except the service staff having a chaotic service behind the bar. It looked like amateur hour. No communication, and confusion abound.

The burgers were okay, but "okay" usually doesn't cost $8.75. We tried the fries, sweet potato fries, and onions, but all three had left the kitchen without any sort of seasoning. Monday nights are usually for the B-team, I know, but even B-teams should know how to throw on some salt. Maybe it was an off night.

I guess that I'm supposing a burger for $8.75, from a place that is always packed and that people have been raving about on egullet and chow, would be more than just an okay burger. Maybe next time I go to Paryse or L'Anecdote I'll set aside 5% from the price of the meal and give that to the Children's Hospital myself, thereby removing any reason to go back to M:Brgr.

Sorry, but this really was a disappointment. Even Carls Jr. and In & Out rank higher than this place.

Funny that you mention that, BLM and I were discussing this the other day. There are many similarities between the M:Brgr patty and the Mr. Steer. Both have a nice crisp exterior, and both are done on a grill. Comparing M:brgr to Mr. Steer makes more sense than comparing M:Brgr to La Paryse.

M:brgr definitely has the decor and the high end toppings, but Mr. Steer does produce a burger worth eating. I could live without Mr. Steers iceberg salad with the French dressing though, and I prefer the fries at M:Brgr or La Paryse.

Veni. Vidi. Voro.

I haven't been to Mr Steer for years. As I remember it initially their burgers were the ne plus ultra, not only in Montreal but virtually anywhere I had experienced hamburgers.

The last time I was there the burgers were pre cooked and had obviously been sitting for quite some time. They were then put on the grill for a minute or two to warm them up. They were simply terrible. I haven't been back since. Perhaps they have gone back to the old way of making them as ordered. I hope so.

I always loved their Suzy Q fries.

Porkpa