• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seafood Noob

SeafoodSuzy

I usually do very simple preparations of fish as well, usually just foil-wrapped and baked with a few herbs or some lemon. Or pan-fried with a tiny amount of oil. Sometimes I'll make my baked salmon with an herb rub recipe I got from a friend, which is quite good.

1 tbsp dark brown sugar

1 tsp cumin seed, toasted & ground

1 tsp coriander seed, toasted & ground

1 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper

Rub the surface of the fish with a bit of oil and then the spice mixture. Allow to rest for about 30 minutes, then bake.

I only have one fish cookbook, Karen Barnaby's Halibut (which I bought because I looooove halibut), but I haven't had it long and haven't tried any of the recipes yet. I've paged through it and oohed and ahhed many times tho. There are quite a few recipes in it that I'm looking forward to trying.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Eric Ripert's three cookbooks are the best works on fish cooking. Fish Forever by Paul Johnson is the best US book on selecting and understanding seafood. Get a good digital thermometer.

I'll take a look at Ripert's books. I've looked through Johnson's book a few times (it is a good one) and finally broke down and ordered it a few days ago. I buy my fresh fish from him - been doing so for years - as I live near the market and his product is first rate.

FWIW, he co-wrote the California Seafood Cookbook, another excellent book. I got my copy directly from Paul as he sold them at the market.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

My Mother (Polish, Jewish) had a way of cooking fish fillets: fish onto pan, large onion slice on top of each piece, can of stewed tomatoes poured over it all. Bake in oven.

The first time I cooked fish after being married was like this. My DH hit the ceiling. His Mother always dipped the fish in batter and deep fried it, along with French fries.

That was fifty years ago and I've never made fish my Mother's way since. We normally bread most fish in almond meal and pan fry or for salmon grilled on the Barbie in lime juice.

DH also hates fish soups although I love them. We don't eat them. Anyone have a really good one?

It is past time for more fish recipes for us too.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

One thing I tried years ago on a whim and never have stopped making it is bbq salmon.

Literally grilled salmon with your favorite bbq sauce brushed on it. They go together amazingly well.

My favorite seafood cookbook is "The Seafood Cookbook" by Peirre Franey and Bryan Miller, (1986). It's worth looking for a used copy (online?) if not currently in print. It is a virtual cornucopia of cooking literally all types of seafood. I use it very regularly, and would use it more if my reliable fish market was more convenient to get to. One thing I learned from it is: if in doubt how to quickly cook a meaty piece of fish, roast it at 450-500, at ten minutes per inch thickness. Another tool in my arsenal is the "Seafood Seasoning" by Frontier Natural Products Co-op, available online, and comes in an oxygen barrier bag, so it lasts a long time. Apply that to a thick cut, then a coating of mayonnaise (!) and roast at high temp. Unless you do something more creative like a bouillabaisse.....

Ray

One thing I tried years ago on a whim and never have stopped making it is bbq salmon.

Literally grilled salmon with your favorite bbq sauce brushed on it. They go together amazingly well.

Oh yeah, bbq salmon is amazing and a staple here in Vancouver. Don't usually bother with the bbq sauce tho.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

My favorite seafood cookbook is "The Seafood Cookbook" by Peirre Franey and Bryan Miller, (1986). [...] "Seafood Seasoning" by Frontier Natural Products Co-op, available online, and comes in an oxygen barrier bag, so it lasts a long time.

Ray

I'll look into the book. There are plenty available on line for as little as 99-cents.

Frontier products has been the subject of a major recall in March. I usually don't use Frontier products. http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm204072.htm

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

trout is great on the bbq too! It really helps to have one of those fish shaped holders that snap around it. I just put some lemon slices and parsley, s&p inside and on the grill it goes. The fish holder really helps keeping things together, but you can work without too, just make sure to oil the grates well.

There are quite some good seafood books out there, Peterson's book is very good, some with excellent photos that show you how to work with each fish, how to filet it, etc. I can't remember the title off hand and don't have time to root through my 21 page long Amazon wish list right now, but check your local book store or library, it should be there. Softcover I think and lots of photos already on the cover.

Also asian cook books, Thai for example. Fantastic recipes for curries or whole fish fried, bbqed etc.

By the way, I think it's really great that you're doing this research so you can help your customers with deciding and cooking! That's a great service!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog