• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Onglet, Hanger Steak, Bistro Medallion

Doodad

This is totally unknown cut of beef in Finland. I requested it from local ranch (send a picture from a butchery book)

and now its the only steak cut i buy, its so good, I sous vide it 1.5H 55C, excelent, and always include plenty of marrow

with the sauce. :)

This is totally unknown cut of beef in Finland. I requested it from local ranch (send a picture from a butchery book)

and now its the only steak cut i buy, its so good, I sous vide it 1.5H 55C, excelent, and always include plenty of marrow

with the sauce. :)

I don't know why it's not more popular where I live. I'll take hanger ($8/lb) over flank ($10/lb) any day. It's not cheap for a cut that needs some TLC. I guess there's just not that much diaphragm in any given cow.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

H,

This discussion should also consider the spider steak. I have been able to purchase these at the source, a local meat processor that was State regulated. It is a very tender cut with great flavor.

This is also the muscle that wags the tail. Here is a picture of a spider steak.

Spider Steak (Medium).jpg

The French name for the cut is la fausse-araignée and there have been articles written in the NY Times by Tony Bourdain and Eric Asimov discussing this cut.

The muscle which works the coccygeus or tail of the bovine.  I think this name is M. Soleus (not sure what M. means) and is clearly identified on the New Zealand Meat Specifications Guide as muscle 80 and on the hindquarter outside view #1300 as M. Soleus.

• 2 weeks later...

Tim, I'm afraid to ask my butcher for a spider steak, but I could try one of those synonyms.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

H,

This discussion should also consider the spider steak. I have been able to purchase these at the source, a local meat processor that was State regulated. It is a very tender cut with great flavor.

This is also the muscle that wags the tail. Here is a picture of a spider steak.

Spider Steak (Medium).jpg

The French name for the cut is la fausse-araignée and there have been articles written in the NY Times by Tony Bourdain and Eric Asimov discussing this cut.

The muscle which works the coccygeus or tail of the bovine.  I think this name is M. Soleus (not sure what M. means) and is clearly identified on the New Zealand Meat Specifications Guide as muscle 80 and on the hindquarter outside view #1300 as M. Soleus.

'M' is for 'musculus'. The fausse-araigné cut is probably not the soleus, though, since in mammals the soleus is a deep muscle of the posterior lower leg (back leg, in a cow).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org