• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Place in Bradley Beach

TheMan,TheMyth

I couldn't get a phone # from 411. Is that the correct spelling of  the name?

I am not 100% sure if that is the spelling. All I know is it is on Main Street and it sounds like Cintron.

I don't know how many people are familiar with Bradley Beach, but from what people are telling me they are getting more and more restaurants featuring many different ethnic cuisines. Supposedly, there is a Polish store/deli that is decent. I saw a new Mexican restaurant and Japanese restaurant on Main Street. I don't know how good they are. For Italian you still have Giamano's and Piancone's which are good. Vic's has excellent pizza. The Blue Marlin featuring Caribbean food is still around.

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

The spelling was off by a bit, the name of the place is Mazi. :hmmm:

The menu is rather limited but they seem to know what they want to accomplish. I'll try to post a copy of the menu by the end of the week.

I had an appetizer of Shrimp with Garlic Sauce and Red Chilis (Could have been spicier, but consider the source...), and an entree of Frango Piri Piri Fire Roasted Half Chicken. This is an eastern Mediterranean dish with North African influences, roasted bone-in chicken with a thick chile pepper and garlic infused sauce that packed a punch with both heat and flavor. Was served with garlic mashed potatoes and sauteed baby carrots.

The room is comfortable with lots of windows and lace curtains (Hopefully easily cleaned of the sauce from the shrimp that almost got away), and the waitstaff though young seem earnest and aim to please. Will be back to try some of the other stuff.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Mazi is on the corner of Main Street and 4th Avenue-phone is 732 775 8828. We've been there about 6 or 7 times since March, and have never been disappointed. They do a great grilled whole fish (Branzino?), and the chicken piri piri is always terrific as is most everything we've tried. The critic in the AP Press gave it a rave this summer.

The Japanese place is also on Main, near the train station. We had sushi and Udon soup there last Spring. It was good, not great, but I'm sure we'll go back before too long.

Blue Marlin is always wonderful.

Haven't been to Piancone's since they redid the place, but we enjoyed their pasta and salads last Spring.

We seldom go to restaurants at the shore in the summer - I can't bear to wait 2 hours for a meal, but now that the season's over, I hope we get out more.

Rosie-

Haven't been to the new Moonstruck - I won't wait on line. The only time we ate at the OG location was New Year's, when they took reservations, and on another December weeknight when we didn't have to wait.

I thought the food and service were both very good each time we went in OG, but not the totally celestial experience reviews and some of the OG locals led me to expect.

Have you been to the new place yet?

The new place is much bigger and you shouldn't have to wait. There is a lovely bar area also. We were there on a weekday night in September and they were packed but there were enough tables that no one was waiting at the bar. Food was good but the place has a different ambiance than the Ocean Grove location.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Haven't been to the new Moonstruck - I won't wait on line. The only time we ate at the OG location was New Year's, when they took reservations, and on another December weeknight when we didn't have to wait.

I thought the food and service were both very good each time we went in OG, but not  the totally celestial experience reviews and some of the OG locals led me to expect.  

Oceangroveguy, I'm with you on all counts. My one experience with Moonstruck at the OG location was a disappointment. Not that the food was bad -- but after all the hype, I expected much, much better. Our server, however, was fabulous. She handled our table of 8 women with cheerful aplomb and even volunteered to give us each separate checks!! We were there on a midweek evening in the spring and were seated immediately. I have heard that the waits at the AP location on a Saturday night have been as long as 2+ hours.

The new place is much bigger and you shouldn't have to wait. There is a lovely bar area also. We were there on a weekday night in September and they were packed but there were enough tables that no one was waiting at the bar.  Food was good but the place has a different ambiance than the Ocean Grove location.

did you ever write up a review of the place when you went. how was it, what did you have , how was the service, was it a good diffrent or bad diffrent in the two places.

We didn't have to wait in Asbury Park. Service was very good. I have to look for my notes as far as diinner was concerned. Didn't post as it was a busy week and I had company. We enjoyed the food. The Asbury Park location had waits in the summer. We went on a weekday in early September.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 1 month later...
The spelling was off by a bit, the name of the place is Mazi.   :hmmm:

The menu is rather limited but they seem to know what they want to accomplish.  I'll try to post a copy of the menu by the end of the week.

I had an appetizer of Shrimp with Garlic Sauce and Red Chilis (Could have been spicier, but consider the source...), and an entree of Frango Piri Piri Fire Roasted Half Chicken.  This is an eastern Mediterranean dish with North African influences, roasted bone-in chicken with a thick chile pepper and garlic infused sauce that packed a punch with both heat and flavor.  Was served with garlic mashed potatoes and sauteed baby carrots.

The room is comfortable with lots of windows and lace curtains (Hopefully easily cleaned of the sauce from the shrimp that almost got away), and the waitstaff though young seem earnest and aim to please.  Will be back to try some of the other stuff.

No, my spelling wasn't that bad. Mazi is a totally different place. What I thought was Citron's turned out to be Citrico's, an Italian/Mediterranean Grill, by Piancone's on Main Street. I had a chance to dine there this past weekend. Although I haven't come up with a final review I would have to say the dining experience was a positive one.

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

We ate at Citrico's for the first time a few weeks ago - had salads and pasta and fish and enjoyed it a lot. Nice atmosphere - sort of noisy - but we were made to feel very welcome, the service was good and I know we'll be back.

We walked in before 7 on a Saturday and were lucky to get a table. Within 15 or 20 minutes there were easily a dozen people waiting.