• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potbelly Sandwich Works

VPF

Another chain selling salt-flavored processed meat and faux bonhomie.  The sandwiches may or may not be "better" than Quiznos or Subway -- hard to imagine a lower bar than that, though -- but the fake potbellied stove and "rustic" feel of the place are particularly repellent.

I feel your disdain, Busboy. But part of Potbelly's history has gotten obscured.

Potbelly was born in the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago about 25 years ago. From its inception until 1998, Potbelly was a neighboorhood sandwich joint and was furnished with kitsch and tchotchkes carried over from its early days as an antique shop. The owners started out selling antiques and started peddling sandwiches to increase foot traffic.

Then in 1998, some venture capitalist dude bought the single Potbelly store from its owner and built a second store in downtown Chicago. I was working in that same building at the time and remember the window sign announcing Potbelly's arrival in the Loop.

When the store finally opened, I couldn't believe my eyes: customers were lined up out the door every day for months. Potbelly successfully transplanted the antique store kitsch to the Chicago Loop and their stores have mushroomed everywhere since.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com