• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potbelly Sandwich Works

VPF

I love a good sandwich and Potbelly's has 'em! Their quality is far beyond Quizno's, Subway, and Jimmy Johns. It seems like their ingredients are pretty straight forward but the taste is always fantastic.

Italian on wheat with everything but oil is what I always get. The Wreck is pretty good too.

What do you guys think??

I like the hot toasty pb&j.

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Never heard of the chain:

Potbelly Sandwich Works

I see by their store map that they're only in a few states.

How are their shakes/malts?

Can someone post pictures of their food so we can we the what the hubbub is about?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

They sound great. I hope they are moving west and will eventually get to California.

The premise certainly should go over well here.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Mmm definately one of the better chain sandwich shops.

Skinny wreck on wheat, no oil, plus hot giardiniera. The one by me usually has some live lunchtime music too.

Jeff

A Potbelly with live lunchtime music?! Cool. Where's it at? What kind of music?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I didn't realize that Potbelly's is only in a few states. I definitely see this company growing.

Here are some pics:

330145505_201f00597a.jpg

0825potbelly.jpg

They don't look like anything special. They just look like your basic sub/grinder. I haven't tried their shakes or malts yet. Their soup is tastey, though.

Alex, they usually just pick a local artist for music.

Mmm definately one of the better chain sandwich shops.

Skinny wreck on wheat, no oil, plus hot giardiniera. The one by me usually has some live lunchtime music too.

Jeff

A Potbelly with live lunchtime music?! Cool. Where's it at? What kind of music?

I'm in SE Wisconsin, and it is typically an acoustic set from a local artist.

Jeff

I've only seen them in airports (Dulles, National, and I think DFW?), and I have not been disappointed there. It's a nice sandwich to carry on with you now that they don't feed people on planes anymore.

I was all excited to try Potbelly's when I was in Illinois last summer. They don't have them where I live. Sorry, but I don't get it.

First, the decor reminds me of TGI Fridays with all the "antiques" and a bunch of stuff gathering dust laying around. And the corny line about the alleged history of a little antique shop growing into "a happening sandwich joint." It's too schmaltzy for me.

Second, I ordered a tuna salad sandwich, which was nothing special. The accompaniments (pickles, hot peppers, etc.) seemed to me to be the exact same products that you find at other sandwich chains. (I guess they all come from Sysco).

Third, my sense was that the prices were higher than at other sandwich chains such as Subway. (Since I don't eat at those places often, I can't be sure on this point, but it just seemed expensive for a mediocre sandwich and a drink).

No disrespect to VPF or anyone else, but I really don't find anything redeeming about Potbellys vs. Subway, Quiznos, etc. They're all the same IMHO.

All in all, I'm going to continue to patronize mom and pop operations over the numerous chains which are homogenizing the US. But to each their own.

I was all excited to try Potbelly's when I was in Illinois last summer.  They don't have them where I live.  Sorry, but I don't get it.

First, the decor reminds me of TGI Fridays with all the "antiques" and a bunch of stuff gathering dust laying around.  And the corny line about the alleged history of a little antique shop growing into "a happening sandwich joint."  It's too schmaltzy for me. 

Second, I ordered a tuna salad sandwich, which was nothing special.  The accompaniments (pickles, hot peppers, etc.) seemed to me to be the exact same products that you find at other sandwich chains.  (I guess they all come from Sysco).

Third, my sense was that the prices were higher than at other sandwich chains such as Subway.  (Since I don't eat at those places often, I can't be sure on this point, but it just seemed expensive for a mediocre sandwich and a drink).

No disrespect to VPF or anyone else, but I really don't find anything redeeming about Potbellys vs. Subway, Quiznos, etc.  They're all the same IMHO.

All in all, I'm going to continue to patronize mom and pop operations over the numerous chains which are homogenizing the US.  But to each their own.

yeah. I haven't been there, but the sandwich pics look nearly identical to a quizno's sub.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

Second, I ordered a tuna salad sandwich, which was nothing special.  The accompaniments (pickles, hot peppers, etc.) seemed to me to be the exact same products that you find at other sandwich chains.  (I guess they all come from Sysco).

No disrespect to VPF or anyone else, but I really don't find anything redeeming about Potbellys vs. Subway, Quiznos, etc.  They're all the same IMHO.

I've never had the tuna salad sandwich so I can't comment on that. Have you tried their italian or wreck sands? Those are the best, the italian is my personal favorite.

Do you really believe that Potbelly's, Subway, Quiznos, and Jimmy Johns puts forth the same product? I highly disagree.

I think the Glenview Illinois location has live lunchtime music too - guy playing acoustic guitar. I'm downtown Chicago now and they definately don't have it down here.

I go to the Potbelly's on State/Lake all the time and they have lunchtime music all the time.

Potbelly's is definitely my favorite chain sandwich place. I get a skinny turkey on wheat (skinny means that they slice out 1/3 of the bread), no oil, no mayo.

My favorite part is the hot peppers.

I like the fact that the sandwiches are a reasonable size, and the meat is definitely higher quality than Subway (about the same as Quizno's though).

I also think that Potbelly's is much better than Quiznos and infinitely better than Subway. I also agree with annarborfoodie on the size; generous but not huge. I've had the Italian several times with hot peppers on it. My only chance for Potbellies has been at BWI and Midway airports.

The last time I was at Midway I was waiting in line at Potbellies next to a pilot. He said it is where most of the flying staff eats on a regular basis.

(I like tuna subs, but I don't think they're too useful for comparing sandwich places if the quality of the coldcuts is important to one.)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Here is a link on their website with their current locations: click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Their shakes are really good, actual ice cream! And they give you a little cookie on the straw, awww, how cute. Seriously, the shakes are great, like their sandwiches.

Oh, live music during the days and evenings at the Knox/Henderson location here in Dallas.

Gear nerd and hash slinger

Another chain selling salt-flavored processed meat and faux bonhomie. The sandwiches may or may not be "better" than Quiznos or Subway -- hard to imagine a lower bar than that, though -- but the fake potbellied stove and "rustic" feel of the place are particularly repellent.

Who was it who said: "the key to success in this business is sincerity, once you can fake that, you've got it made"?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Another chain selling salt-flavored processed meat and faux bonhomie.

Do you like good quality cold cuts (ham, mortadella, salami, etc)?

I don't care about the decor of the place. And I do agree that the "bar" set by Quiznos and Subway is incredibly low. For some reason I found myself at a Subways a few months ago after a very long hiatus; I'll not be eating there again. The quality was incredibly low.

I'd still prefer a sandwich made from good coldcuts from an independent Italian, German, Jewish or Polish deli but those are difficult to find in many places. If you like subs or grinders, Potbelly is a good option.

Edited by ludja (log)

They are certainly not a bad option, but they are nothing to write home about or a thread about IMHO. I prefer them over Subway for sure and a bit more than Quizno's. I have one -with the live music- in a mall in downtown Houston where I work and I go there once in a while. The main attractions? I do like the spicy gardiniera and the people watching. The folks who work there are friendly enough, but it is not a 'destination' sandwich place like some other mom and pop places in town.

Maybe I'll give the shakes a try next time I'm there.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

(I like tuna subs, but I don't think they're too useful for comparing sandwich places if the quality of the coldcuts is important to one.)

Fair enough. I don't eat coldcuts nor do I frequent these kinds of places, so my evaluation should be considered with that in mind.

Nonetheless, I guess what bugged me was that I had heard a bunch of hype about the place, and how great it was, so I was excited when I finally found one. I went in with the expectation of a good meal. IMHO it was no better than any other restaurant chain that is plaguing our country and homogenizing our diets. The hokey decor really annoyed me, too. But that's just me and needless to say, these chain restaurants are extremely popular with the Average Joe in the USA (no offense to ludja or anyone else who enjoys Potbelly's intended!)

^ None taken! Per foodman's point, I wouldn't put it up against a good deli or mom and pop place (if you have one that goes beyond Boar's Head, etc) AND for me, I've eaten at them at the two airports I mentioned. For me, it is a good option compared to the other offerings at the airport and the decor didn't factor in that situation! Again, per Busboy's and your point, that isn't setting a high bar...