• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tea Ganache and E Coli?

Truffle Guy

Recently I have started doing ganaches with teas and have heard that they are susceptible to e coli. Does anyone have any information on the dangers of using tea in a ganache? It would seem the same problem for Lavender and other herbs but thought I'd check with the experts.

Gee, I've never heard that. If true, why would that be?

E. coli is a bacteria that lives in intestines of cattle, sheep, goats, and deer. It finds a way out of the intestines in the form of fecal matter. Plants can be affected when this fecal matter finds a way into the soil (think fertilizer or compost) or irrigation is contaminated with the bacteria.

So then, I gather this possible E. coli would come from the tea leaves? I've never heard of a tea E. coli outbreak......or would that be Tea. coli? :laugh::laugh:

I suppose there would be a possibility that some tea leaves had been grown in soil contaminated with E. coli, or irrigated with E. coli infected water, but would the E. coli survive the drying process anyway? I don't know.

What I do know is that I've been a tea drinker all my life, and haven't come down with any E. coli problems yet...... :wink:

Edited to add:

I'm still researching this.......and I came across this little flamewar on Teachat that is absolutely hilarious! E. coli in tea?

Here's an interesting page that talks about tea extracts being an anti-microbial agent AGAINST E. coli

Do you know there's something called Compost Tea? Do you think that could be a misunderstanding leading to misinformation about E. coli in the tea you are referring to?

Edited by chefpeon (log)

pastrygirl, I went to the link you provided, and while the little missive sounds legit, I'm still one to question it. If the disease was something that was known about by the medical community, you would think one would find a lot more links and information about it on the web. When I typed in

Tea- Induced Tytherium Sefalytus into a Google search, I only came up with two sites; the one you referred to, and the little flamewar on Tea Chat that I referred to. I sense there's something fishy. It seems weird, no?

Also if E. coli were a real danger in tea, you would think that with all the news coverage we've seen lately, that there would be something mentioned about that danger too.

Me, I'm always one to be skeptical, especially when you see the acronym, and this:

Symptoms of onset of T.I.T.S are severe chest pains, bloating, and vomiting.

T.I.T.S affects more women than men, with about 32,400 women being diagnosed annually.

I seem to recall an issue in the Philadelphia area many years back that involved food poisoning subsequent to careless practices using an electric iced tea brewer at a restaurant. I don't remember the specific bacteria as I first heard of it at least 12 years ago and I don't even remember my source.

As I recall, the problem was related to rather basic cleaning practices.

E. Coli in vegetable matter (including lettuce, tea, and so on) is primarily an issue with cross-contamination or direct fecal contamination. Since there's no significant water activity in loose leaf tea itself, I don't think e. coli present at time of harvest would survive after the tea is dried.

In drink or food preparation, I'm pretty sure your primary risk for e. coli with tea in your ganache is the same issue you face with any other food preparation; hand washing and proper glove usage and avoidance of cross-contamination risks should be enough.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Hey everyone thanks for the response. It didn't quite make sense to me either as we use so many other dried herbs that are less processed (such as lavender) that actually grow closer to the ground. Was a bit scary to hear this as I'm currently working with a couple tea companies on some product but I think there is probably more risk with normal shelf life issues.

Well said, Jason. I think you're spot on!

Chefpeon, you're right, it does seem a bit fishy, especially with all of the hype recently about health benefits of tea. Is e.coli widespread across Asia and India? Doubtful. And if e.coli is killed in your hamburger at 160F, shouldn't it be killed by the hot water for tea brewing? And why would e.coli from one source cause different symptoms than the same bacteria from another source?

And why would e.coli from one source cause different symptoms than the same bacteria from another source?

That's what I was thinking too.......and that part that says "e. coli thrives in synthetic nylon"?

Huh?

Edited by chefpeon (log)